Of Blood And Rain

The fire-gold sun kissed the sky’s azure edge as the bordering clouds flushed a deep blood-red. Scattered diamond drops fell in showers, the knife-edged gold of dawning light slicing with harsh precision. Stray, salty drops traced a blood-splattered cheek, some pooling in the crevice of two pale lips. It was, thought Lirael, a mockery of the rage and pain coursing through her heart. The too-light weight of the tattered body in her arms was raw agony. An aching sob tore from her throat, cracked and bleeding from her vengeful screams. Her tortured gaze found the mutilated flesh she clutched, cold and clammy, glistening from the rain. An endless stream of blood stained her fingers, arms, chest. Some of the ruby fluid had soaked beneath her clothes to trickle down her exposed legs.

She bent to kiss what remained of Audraea's once immaculate face. Metallic, crimson liquid stained her lips blood-red, hugging her pale cheek as she pressed it to her friend's, running down in streams over her chin and neck as she raised her head. Lirael's emerald eyes were a drained, dull grey as she faced another dawn—devoid of joy.
She was hollow. Empty. Agony.

A choking sob forced itself from her cracked lips as she took a staggering step forwards. Beside her, a small boy of five stumbled, reflexively grabbing onto her arm to catch himself. Sticky, red liquid seeped over his fingers to run down his arm in a spider web of sorrow. His blonde hair was already matted with the discoloured, drying blood of his mother. He did not utter a word—had not made a sound since he'd screamed Audraea's name as she had fallen. Bitterness knifed through Lirael’s agony. Such a young age to be an orphan.

It took her sluggish, sorrow-drenched mind precious minutes before it processed the sounds of pursuit. When it did, a despairing cry tore at Lirael’s throat, barely more than a hoarse whisper. She staggered, and then fell to her knees. Mud from the rain-drenched soil spattered her bloodied face. Sobbing, she laid her friend's body in the rapidly forming pool of blood and water on the ground. Clear, pure rain seeped into the jagged wounds cut deep within a face that would have otherwise been beautiful and emerged red.

With a cry of defiance, Lirael wrenched her gaze from the ruined body and pulled the boy to her chest. She clasped him tight, pressing her face to his forehead. Her lips moved in silent prayer even as lightning flashed and the rain began to fall in earnest. Then, with a sob, she pushed him away.

'Go,' She begged him. 'Run.'

The boy sobbed, then turned and took a stumbling step away. Another. Then he was running, small feet making no sound as he disappeared into the white-sheeted downpour of rain.

At last unburdened of her responsibility, Lirael drew her gilded dagger and turned to face Death, defiance in her eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!