I Wish I Could Stay

This is a sad story about my friend Abigail.

Two years ago in 2015, we decided to have a girl’s day out although we were only ten. I remember that it was the 12th of September. Earlier that morning at 9:30 we asked our parents if it was ok if we could have a girl’s day out. Although we were still quite young our parents said yes.

Firstly, we went to the ice-cream shop down the road from us called Indigo’s Ice-Cream, the best ice-cream place in town. By the time we got there and ate, it was already 10:30. When the food was finished we walked for 10 minutes down the road and went shopping. I got some nice blue and pink tights, a beautiful white dress with flowers on it and a matching necklace and bracelet to accompany the dress. Abigail got a purple dress, a rainbow headband, a silver bracelet and new shoes. We both saw a nice park across the road and also saw a nice place to eat lunch, so we went and enjoyed some nice chips, salad and fish. Our stomachs were a little bit too full, so we let them settle for 10-15 minutes.

“Violet, let’s go to the park now,” Abagail said excitedly.

“Ok,” I said.

So next we went to the park which looked like fun.

“Let’s see who can swing the highest,” Abagail said with a smile.

“Ok, but I can swing pretty high.”

I was in the lead but then Abigail said, “Stop,” and realised that her wallet was missing.

So she said, “You stay here and I will go and get it, I will be back in 2 minutes.”

Abigail walked across the road got her wallet and then waited for the lights to turn green so she could cross.

Come on, let’s have some fun,” I shouted.

Abigail was so excited that she forgot to wait for the lights and she ran across the road. Turning the corner, a car came pass and I shouted out Abigail but she did not hear me. The car hit her and Abigail collapsed to the ground. People came running to her rescue to see if she was ok and I too did the same. It was too late, she was no longer breathing. I ran to her house and informed her parents about what happened. They were in tears and I took them to where she was lying. 10 minutes later the ambulance arrived and took her body away. I thought to myself all of this really was my fault. I came up with the idea to have a girl’s day out and was the one who called out to her, come on. I could never forgive myself for this, Abigail was my best friend. One week later was her funeral and as I saw her being lowered into her grave, I stepped forwards and looked at her and said,

"I wish you could stay.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!