Fear

I timidly stepped through the harrowing darkness. My hands quivered. I was petrified, yet still intrigued by the intimidating door, the thing that terrifies me the most. Nevertheless, I was still captivated. The night sky was as dark as the ocean but infinitely deeper. Too terrified to attempt to go into this diabolical place, yet too scared of the fear of isolation if I dared turn back. Unconsciously using meta cognition, I was aware that I was filled with anxiety at this point, but the only thing I could do, was go into the daunting entrance…
I comprehended that I should not go in there, but the idea of triumphing attracted me. I was entranced. My hand reached out and touched the doorknob with trepidation and I stepped within the interior. Noises surrounded me as if I was abandoned in this distressing place. I wanted to get out of this terrifying scenario. No, I must not turn back. This malicious thing has haunted me for long enough. I proceeded cautiously to the far end, well at least to my perception, of the room. I feel myself trembling yet again. An uncomfortable premonition of fear pervaded my senses, but I went on.
I must fight. I must ensue. I am having a heated debate in my head about whether to endure. I am bemused. I know what I am reaching for, but I am ambivalent as to how I am going to reach this destination. I timorously heave my leg one step forward. The floorboards creak as if there were vermin pulverising their way through it. It all became too unbearable for me. I open my mouth but I can’t even formulate one sound. I advance into hysterics, initiating myself to hyperventilate. I must remain calm.
There it is. I see it. Praise the pioneers of the electric light bulb! I am almost near it. My hand stops shuddering. This deplorable experience is almost over. I grasp the switch and lurch it downward. It turns on. The place I had assumed to be excruciatingly scary, turned out to be an accomplishment. I had succeeded. I was triumphant…
‘Well done.’
I hesitantly open my eyes, to be moderately surprised, as my psychiatrist leans over and gently taps my shoulder.
I am astounded at how vivid the unconscious mind can be. I gave an ambiguous smile, but I was still astonished at how much more improved I felt.
‘Congratulations on finishing the session,’ stated the psychiatrist.
‘Thank you so much. I feel like I am most definitely overcoming my claustrophobia.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!