Alone

The sun stung my eyes as I gradually opened them. The agony grew as I continued to expose them to the sunlight. I could hear the harmonizing song of the birds singing, and the waves crashing against the rocks as they came in. The air around me was warm and welcoming. So warm that it felt as if you were wrapped in a blanket of joy. The air smelt of the ocean's strong scent of salt. I could feel the hot beach sand moving its way between my fingers and toes. It was soft. It was delicate. It was refreshing. I sat up and saw the view that was around me. The beach. The sand. The palm trees. The seagulls. All of it was surrounding me.
I lifted myself onto my feet and staggered around. No one was there. It was completely deserted. "Hello," I called in hope for a response, "is anyone there?" There was no reply, only the continuous chirping of the birds.
My mind was filled with questions, hungry for answers. Where was everyone? Why am I the only one here? I couldn't even remember how I got here. I gazed around, trying to find some sort of explanation. Nothing. Not a single towel, not a single person, not a plane or boat that could of carried me her. Just nothing. Nothing at all.
I continued to walk, nearly tripping over my own feet in confusion. The gleaming rays of sunshine drew sweat across my head as I paced on. The ocean sparkled and shined beside me. The waves were now getting smaller and calmer, unlike before. Before, when things were relaxing. Before, when things weren't confusing.
I tried to remember something. Anything at all would be helpful. Do I have a family? A home? A life? Nothing came to mind, as if the memories had faded.
The waves kept moving in and out with the tide as the sun started to slowly set. The sky filled with colours as beautiful as a rose. Red, orange, pink and purple. All blending smoothly together like an artist had painted it.
There are only two problems. I am stranded, and I'm alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!