Eczema

I have always wanted to write a book and now I'm writing a short story to tell people about a condition that is usually ignored because in some cases it is considered "NORMAL".

When I was four I moved to Traralgon, and I had to start kinder. I had no friends, but this one girl walked up to me and asked me to sit with her. I was worried because if she saw my legs maybe she wouldn't want to be my friend anymore. I scanned her, looking at every one of her perfections. I got down to her arms and legs they were covered.....in sores and bumps and patches of dark colour. I was so happy that I had found someone just like me. I played with her everyday, until I was eight years old, then things changed we found new friends. When I got to grade five things were different, I used to get treated differently because I had eczema. I dont have to do as much sport, I could wear my sports jumper everyday because I couldn't wear the wool one. But we got a new principal, I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it was for me. I wasn't allowed to wear my sports jumper with my school dress anymore. I could only wear it on sports days, I had to do the same as everyone else and it hurt me.

Now when I get notes home saying do you have any medical conditions my mum puts down eczema but people don't consider that as a big problem so why pay attention to it. When I tell my friends I don't want to go in the sun, it makes my skin itchy. They don't care. When I say to my friends, I have a condition that makes me really, really itchy. They say that happens to me sometimes, it's okay. But that's not what I'm saying I get itchy every second of the day. I think hold it in, don't itch, you don't need to. But I can't control it. A couple of years ago I was playing with my friends and they saw me scratching my head, a lot. They stopped playing and moved away, they asked if I had nits, I said no, I don't. Of course I wasn't going to tell them about eczema they don't need to know, I don't want sympathy. They told me I was lying and ran away, I was left all alone by myself.

I was born with eczema, a condition that makes me really itchy....all the time. It is not as bad as it used to be because I have learnt to control it enough. But I still have to do things differently, I can't wear wool clothing, my family uses the exact same washing detergent all the time, I can't spend much time in the rain or sun because it makes me itchy, I have to use special soap or none at all, some shampoo and conditioner makes my head insanely itchy, I can't wear long sleeves, jackets, or cardigans without wanting to scratch my inner elbows, I don't like to wear shorts because people can see my scars and say "wow"' that's a lot of bruises, what happened? I get embarrassed when I tell them , "no, they're scars", they find it weird.

I don't mind that I have something that separates me from other people, I just wish it wasn't eczema.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!