Family Tree



I had a very strange summer holidays this year. My life usually follows the same routine. I wake up, wake my dad up, eat breakfast, wake the rest of my family up and wait for them to get ready for the day. My Dad then goes to work while my older brother and sister, Mike and Clare, go to school. I'm only four years old so I don't go to school yet. I hang out at home for a while. It's not that bad. I chase animals away, sleep, eat, sleep. It's actually quite relaxing. Then at the end of the day everyone would come home and eat dinner. I never usually eat dinner at the same time as the rest of my family, though I do like to visit the dinner table at times.
The reason why the summer holidays were weird was because it was nothing like my usual routine. Instead Dad wanted to do something called camping. After we were given an explanation it became a fun idea but it is also where strange things started to happen. After a long car trip, Dad stopped the car. While he and Mum set up the tents, Mike told me something rather odd.
He said, “Just so you know, you are adopted.” I looked at him, trying to understand what he meant. Clare slapped him on the shoulder.
“Don't be rude!” she exclaimed, “He doesn't know what that means.” But I understood perfectly well. He meant that his mum and dad weren't my mum and dad. I guess I did look a bit different to the rest of the family. I always seemed to see things with a different eye. I liked things that other people thought was gross and I always got away with everything. I always assumed that I was just a bit different from everyone else but I never really imagined why. The next morning, Clare came over and sat down next to me.
“What are you thinking about?” She asked. I looked away, not really sure how to respond. Clare rubbed my back. “Are you thinking about what Mike said to you yesterday?” she asked. I nodded. “Do you want me to ask Mum about your real parents for you?” I nodded again. One thing I like about Clare is that she always seems to understand me. “I'll see what I can do.” she said. Then she left. I smiled, grateful to have a sister like her.
Five days later, Mum and Dad took me to someone's house to meet my real parents. As soon as I saw them, I knew exactly who they were. They both looked exactly like me. Both of them were blonde and had four legs and a tail. Something that no one else except for me had in my family. I ran over to them and greeted them with a loud ‘bark.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!