Ocean Perspective

You opened the door of your small cream house and stepped onto the golden sand. You can feel the broken shells stab your feet like little shards of glass as you walk towards the crystal water of the sea. To your left there is a lighthouse, standing tall with its lights pointing towards the water. To your right there is a sandcastle. You continue to walk, the shells still beneath your feet and the soft sand burying your toes. You can feel the wind take your hair off your shoulders and blow back as you walk against it. Although the wind is cold you are kept warm by a woolen jumper your nan made. Although it is dark you can see the stars reflect on her blue sea. You turn your head and look back at your house which is now a far distance away.

You can hear lorikeets screeching in the palm trees above and can smell the salty water in the wet sand. You can taste the fresh air when you breathe in… it makes your nose cold. You turn back again and your house is almost invisible, you can only just see it. The red and yellow flags are both to your left and your right, you are dead center of them. A big blue wave crashes again and you are close enough to the water for it to run beneath your feet, it's cold. You place your hands in the calm water and you can feel the ripples between your fingers. Your pale white beanie blows off your head and lands on the sand a meter back. The Pom Pom on top is sopping wet, you ring it out forcefully. You hold the beanie in your hands tightly, making sure it doesn't touch you. The sea gracefully sprays your face with the salty water of the ocean. You warm your lips by licking them and all you can taste is salt. A wave crashes at your feet. The white, foamy water reaches your knees then quickly rushes back to sea. Your lips continue to quiver. You continue walking. Every step you take the water gets deeper. You float on your back in a star shape and let the waves draw you out to sea. As you go further, the waves get bigger. The night sky above you is a beautiful sight.

You reach a sandbar. It's high enough for you to stand on it and have your head out of the water. The water sits motionless as you look around. You see nothing, nothing except the water of the sea. Although you don't know where you are you stay calm. You lay on your back once again with your eyes closed and before you know it they're open again, but your not at sea. Instead you're laying on your bed in a star shape, your head resting on a pillow with woolen blankets you nan made keeping you warm. You pull a smile then go back to sleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!