New Moon

In a universe unknown, near an uncharted star I looked down to see nothing but a small moon out in the middle of nowhere. I tried to stop myself but my curiosity got the better of me so I then changed my course and headed straight for it. As my ship began to enter its thin atmosphere something struck the side of my ship making me lose control and start diving at the moon at an alarming speed. As the ship began to fall apart I only had one option left and that was the escape pods. I then jumped in one and pressed the eject button. As I zoomed towards the moon the massive speed made me pass out.
I woke with a start not knowing when or where I was. I looked out the pod window to see nothing but barren country covered in nothing but dry dirt. As I stepped onto the surface of the moon a wave of unexpected cold hit me making me instantly shiver. As much as I wanted to get back in the pod but I needed to look for the crash site. Walking around in the bone chilling cold for what felt like several hours made me desperate to find the crash site. As I walked around for a bit more I could see the ship. As I got closer to the wreckage I was very surprised to see how much had survived the impact as all the resource storage remained intact. I readied myself a warm meal and turned on the SOS signal knowing it would be some time until someone found me, but on the positive side of things I had enough food for at least three years. I remained on the moon for nine months surviving in what remained of my ship finding some ways of amusing myself, though mainly staying on the bridge in case someone found my distress call. I also thought about my home and wondered what my wife and nine month old daughter had been doing for the last nine months and if I’d ever see them again. Until one day nearly three weeks later while I was on the bridge I heard someone speaking on the radio. The signal was very scratchy but I was able to make out what they were saying.
“Are you receiving us? I repeat are you receiving us?”
I was quick to respond with my heart beating like a drum, unable to believe my luck. “Yes I am receiving you.”
They then responded with, “This is the battle cruiser Infinity. We picked up your distress signal an hour ago while on a recon mission but could not contact you, are you alright?”
I responded hastily, “Yes, I am fine”.
The Infinity then responded “Well, then consider yourself going home.” I was so excited I didn’t know what to say. I was going home to see my wife and nearly one and a half year old daughter again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!