A Fortune Tale

Finalist in the 'Write Here Write Now 2017' competition

I am stuck inside this jar. I peer through the glass bottle, observing the bustle within the restaurant, patrons were finishing up their platter and toasting each other. I couldn't hear the sighted commotion from within. I am just trapped among all the other fortune cookies awaiting our fate to be determined.
We are the fortune cookies that people look upon when they are in a dilemma. This is about the story of Bethzy pondering how to break the news to her
family… Damaris and Deanna were advised that their father, Ezequiel had been offered a promotion at the prestigious Baker & McKenzie Law firm. Their rejoice was short-lived when Damaris and Deanna realised that they had to relocate from America to Australia in a week’s time! Deanna was horrified to leave her heartthrob.
In the evening, the family had dinner at their favourite Chinese Restaurant. The doors to Dragon Dynasty Chinese Restaurant swung open. Damaris and her famished family entered and were handed a menu with a starter plate piled with a stack of fortune cookies.
They each took turns to crack open the cookies and read their fortunes within.
Deanna read, “Heartbreak is inevitable but you find what you deserve.”
Next, Ezequiel read his, “You have to choose between your passion and stability.”
Bethzy read hers next, “You work 365 days without sick leave, lunch breaks or recreation.”
“Homemaker is a thankless job,” Bethzy lamented.
Damaris read hers last, “Your life does get better by change.”
After dinner, Damaris and her family left the restaurant feeling optimistic. That is our supposed role as fortune cookies. “To bring a ray of hope when someone is in doubt,” I consoled myself in the jar.
A week later, Damaris and her family relocated down under, Australia.
The truth is out…
Ezequiel wasn't offered a promotion at the renowned law firm. He confessed to the family that he detested his corporate life and is looking to pursue
his life passion to study wildlife. Australia is the place he wants to call home. Bethzy was astonished to learn how unhappy her spouse was. “I am ready to venture out to work,” Bethzy kindly reassured.
The doorbell rung. A lovely family stood outside with a fruit basket. “Welcome to Australia,” their new neighbours declared. The lovey-dovey couple grinned widely. Beside them stood a dashing young lad looking straight into Deanna’s eyes. Their daughter, Leticia shakes Damaris’s hand. “I am your new classmate and can’t wait to show you around.” None of them realise until this moment how they all needed a drastic change.
Every message from the fortune cookies they have read at Dragon Dynasty Chinese Restaurant flashed through. This is what our role as Fortune cookies
define, “To take people to greater heights when they are in doubt.”
Some critics dismiss us as utter nonsense. Some are sceptical. Whatever you choose to believe: I am that fortune cookie in the jar still awaiting your future.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!