Heartbroken

Prologue
All was good in Paris until midday on the 10th of May 1940, that's when the nightmare started and it would go on for a further 2 weeks until Paris would fall.
10th May 1940
Paris
Adalia's family wasn’t going so well after her husband left, Adalia hadn’t heard from Gabriel in months. Adalia had heard that Hitler’s army had started invading France.
Adalia heard tanks rumbling on the outskirts of town. “Hugo, Jake get down!” Adalia ordered. Both Hugo and Jake crept closer to Adalia in the dark, cold, damp cellar of their rented house. Then in the silent cellar, BOOM! A German tank shot at a nearby government building, CRASH!!! The building trembled the ground, shaking the cellar. Adalia heard a german soldier outside, “Should we investigate that building?”
“Nien! Next you will be saying if we can explore every building in this country!!!” Ordered a German officer.
“But sir…”
“Not now private”
Adalia’s heart was pounding her hands freezing then, “Mummy who are th…” asked Hugo. Andalia slapped her hand against Hugo's mouth in an instant. Hugo started groaning in pain. Adalia put her index finger over her mouth. Hugo nodded. Luckily the German platoon had gone to far away to hear them.
Adalia heard the unmistakeable sound of a plane flying overhead she had a spark of belief and hope. As she was celebrating with her children she heard the plane diving. She started running for cover but the only cover she could find was an old bench that she used to knit on to try and make money in their times of need. She ran and skidded underneath the table and told them to come to her underneath the table, but Hugo and Jake thought it was a game. The wailing of its engine got closer and closer until BOOM!!! A huge pile of rubble came toppling down on the three of them. Adalia watched as her two most prized possessions squashed like a pile of ants under a shoe. Adalia tried hopelessly tried to push away the heavy rubble. Adalia finally managed to pull herself out of her rented building.
Adalia cried what seemed like an ocean full of tears. Then she heard bullets flying at her, she started running, heart broken, ears deafened she dived for some nearby rubble. The plane that was shooting at her suddenly exploded, Adalina looked up and saw a french plane shooting at the German dive bomber. She tried to get a glimpse of the number of the plane but it was too late the plane had zoomed by. Adalia ran for the closest hose that wasn’t rubble, she ran in the door and barricaded the windows and doors. She felt cold, sad, helpless and insecure. Anadia was wrapping herself up in the window curtains when a German patrol spotted the barricaded windows and doors. She was finally feeling better when the German patrol barged through the doors with guns aimed and loaded at Adalia, she ran at the soldiers in rage. Bang! Adalia fell to the floor…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!