Sarina

It was a dark cold night when the small family arrived at the small country house.
“Let’s wait til morning to unpack,” said Mum wearily.
“I agree,” Dad replied with a croaky voice.
“But…but I want to explore,” cried Kaylah as she climbed the stairs.
“Everyone is tired honey we will do it first thing in the morning,” said Mum.
“Can we just go inside,” Kai urged as he put his phone in his pocket.
“Okay grab your sleeping bags,” sighed Dad “we’ll sleep on mattresses in the lounge room.”

The next morning Mum, Dad, and Kai were still sleeping when Kaylah got up. She decided to go explore the new house. She wondered into each room eagerly, gradually running her hand over the furniture stirring up the dust making her sneeze uncontrollably, but she just laughed and skipped off to the next room.

Eventually she ended up in the attic. It was dark and cold, shivers ran down her spine, floorboards creaked. She scanned the room and the first thing her eyes were drawn to was a small doll sitting on a scant rocking chair long blonde hair with a short raggy dress. She casually walked over to where it sat not taking her eyes off it. She smoothly placed her hand on the dolls cheek. Instantly the dolls eyes open they were big and blue. It made Kaylah jolt, the doll raises its hand and scratches Kaylah on the arm. Kaylah ran screaming not looking back (child screaming). Her heart beating faster than ever before (heart beats). As she ran down the stairs mum and dad were calling her name not knowing where their daughter was. Kai was awake but didn’t take any concern on what was going on he simply just kept texting his girlfriend and playing his Xbox. Finally they found Kaylah crying with blood weeping down her arm.

“What happened,” Mum asked.
“The…the…doll mum… the doll,” screamed Kaylah.
“What doll,” Mum replied.
“THE Doll… it scratched me,” cried Kaylah stumbling to get her words out.
“Don’t be a dill,” smirked Dad, “dolls aren’t alive and they can’t move.
“Exactly,” agreed Mum, “perhaps you scratched yourself on a nail.”

Mum yelled out to Kai, but he ignored her. She yelled louder but still no reply. Dad went upstairs to see why he was ignoring them. When dad arrived in the lounge room he saw kai on the phone to his girlfriend.
“KAI YOUR MUM CALLED YOU TWICE NOW GET OFF THE PHONE AND GO SEE WHAT SHE WANTS!’ Yelled dad.
Kai slowly got up while still on the phone saying bye to his girl. He casually strolled down the hall to where mum and Kaylah were standing. His eyes widened when he saw his sisters arm covered in blood.
“Kai there you are,” sighed Mum, “Can you please get the first aid kit from the car.”
“Yes Mum.” Kai obeyed.
Kai ran to the car grabbed the first aid kit and returned to where Kaylah and Mum were standing. He handed the first aid kit to Mum and she bandaged Kaylah’s arm. Her eyes filled with tears.
Kai said he was going to inspect the house. The first place he went was the attic. Just like his sister his eyes immediately were drawn to the creepy doll sitting on the little chair. He wondered over to it. He saw a tag around its neck…It said SARINA. He picked the doll up and took it down stairs to Kaylah.
“This should cheer you up,” smiled Kai
Kaylah stopped what she was doing and jumped up and screamed loud. It echoed through the house, alarming Mum and Dad. They came into the room panicking.
“What now,” yelled Mum?
No one replied.
The doll suddenly started laughing. Kai dropped it and ran over to where Mum, Dad and Kaylah were standing. The doll stood up looked left and right its neck cracked multiple times. The family ran not looking back.
“Get in the car,” yelled Mum
“What about you?” k\Kai screamed
“Don’t worry I will be there soon I just gotta get our stuff.” Mum screamed back.
Kai didn’t reply he just picked up Kaylah and kept running.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!