Saved By The Bell

“Tick tock tick tock,” the clock’s hypnotising rhythm forced its way into my brain and blocked out any chance of hearing my tiny maths teacher Miss Midge (more commonly Miss Midget) as she dragged on and on about dividing fractions.
Miss midget is one of those boring, stereotypical movie teachers. She wears her hair in a bun so tight that it makes her look like a giant insect, stockings and a grey dress with high heeled boots. I reckon she wears them to make her look taller. Miss Midget is obsessed with fractions. One year her whole class failed because instead of teaching them algebra she taught fractions. She is officially the worst teacher in the school, and I have the ‘good’ luck of having her for a whole 365 days!
I was so busy focusing on the fact that this daily torture ends in less than ½ an hour that I fell asleep dreaming of lunchtime. I felt somebody elbow me over and over.
“That hurts!” I groaned without opening my eyes.
“Ha, ha, ha, ha” came the classes laughter.
Oh, shoot! I realised too late that I had fallen asleep and started snoring! ‘Oh, no, just another thing to add to my 3ft list of socially embarrassing moments,’ I had thought, ‘God!’
“Aww, didn’t Mummy tuck you in properly last night?” sneered the class bully, Dylan in a baby voice, “Aww, poor little kiddy widdy.”
“Do you need your teddy?” Chimed in Curtis, Dylan’s wing man.
“Ha, ha, ha, ha!” the class laughed again.
I pursed my lips, attempting to throw off the temptation of crying. I clenched my fists, feeling my nails dig into my palms. Blood trickled down my hand. That day would stay in my mind for ever.
“Would someone mind telling me what’s so funny?” questioned Miss Midget in her high pitched voice that could shatter glass.
The laughter died off and we continued dividing fractions.
The next thing I knew I was jolted awake by the slam of an exam paper hitting my desk. My face burned with embarrassment and the fear of what lay ahead hit me like a sledge hammer.
“Begin!” Miss Midget shrieked gleefully with a smile that could curdle milk.
I stared blankly at the fractions sheet wishing bitterly that I hadn’t fallen asleep while Miss Midge was explaining.
“Diiiiiing” The bells deafening ring freed me. I walked out of that exam barely breathing. I had no clue as to how I might have done and the chances weren’t on my side. Though through that everlasting torture I learnt my lesson. I will NEVER EVER fall asleep in class again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!