A Dark Past

Rearranging the frilly length of my dress, I watched my date laugh with his friends. I used to laugh with friends, long ago. Now my life is too serious to laugh. I have new, fake friends now. It’s not like they will last long anyway.
A guy in a tux too big for him emerges from the dance floor and heads my way. Joining me, he flashes me a flirty grin and drawls ‘’Well isn’t that a stunning dress for a stunning girl. Does she have a stunning name and smile to go with it?’’
The comment immediately puts me ill at ease. To anyone else it would just be blatant flirting, but a memory just out of reach tugs insistently on my mind, warning me to be alert. Heeding the warning I told him my mothers’ name and muttered something about needing to go to the bathroom. A pang shot through my heart as I numbly stumbled towards the bathroom. My mother had been dead for years but time didn’t lessen the pain, or the memories associated with it.
Suddenly, needing fresh air to clear my head I changed directions to the gym’s emergency exit. My current boyfriend and I discovered it didn’t have an alarm when we used it to skip HPE. I hope he doesn’t freak out that I was gone for a few minutes. Right now I just needed to be alone.
Reaching the exit I stepped out into the night. A cool hand of breeze welcomed me. Peace settled over me as cool, crisp air filled my lungs. My peace was short-lived as a calloused hand smothered my mouth before I could protest. A corded arm of muscle grabbed my waist. I kicked and elbowed my attacker trying to break free. Grunts of pain rewarded me until the arm around me squeezed impossibly tight. Panic welled up in my chest. My struggles increased in intensity. I didn’t want to go back to my old life. I may not be happy now but at least I’m not miserable. Gravel crunched under my captor’s boots, the sound of a death march. With each step horrible memories rose, memories that I worked so hard to forget, memories from my past.
Gravel bit at my palms as I was thrown to the ground. Familiar black shoes filled my vision. Panic replaced my dread. My gut squeezed with the knowledge that my past was about to become my present. Looking up, my eyes met eyes identical to mine. The only difference being that his were filled with a cunning gleam. My world came crashing down as the sound of his smooth words replaced my jagged breathing. ‘’Well isn’t this a surprise meeting you here after all these years,’’ he paused dragging out the agony, ‘’Daughter.’’ I missed my mother but I didn’t want to join her yet...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!