We Can Do Anything

The unbearable, humid wind twisted and somersaulted it’s way through the dusty terrain. Our hands blocked our suffering eyes from the dancing sand that was hurtling toward us from every possible direction. With my other hand I held the baby close to my chest, attempting to keep it calm.
“We’re nearly there,” he yelled in our tongue, as he guided my mother and I into a village. We were led into one small hut, a lot smaller than our previous house. It had thick mud walls and the roof was dry palm-leaves. There was no doorway so gusts of sandy wind was swept inside. The floor was stained and made of dirt and the only furniture was a platform in one corner covered by a thin, blanket and a tiny, wooden table. I assumed the platform was our sleeping arrangement and the table was only for preparing food and eating.
My baby sister began crying. It was a loud wail that my ears definitely weren't prepared for. I patted her back and rocked her slowly but nothing worked. I knew she was frightened, we were in an unknown place surrounded by unknown people. I was scared too. We all were, we were refugees. At the very least, my father found us a shelter.
That night, the darkness wiped out the light. The sky was inky-black and the only visible light was from the moon. My baby sister, Saavi, lay on a big banana leaf. My parents sacrificed the blanket from their bed platform. I lay on the dirt floor, the thin blanket under me. I was uncomfortable but I knew I couldn't say anything. 287
In the morning, we ate rations. We couldn’t eat fancy food or even multiple servings of it. It was only staples and no unnecessary items.

It was like that for 4 years. Not knowing what will happen and being unsure everyday. Being unsure if a bomb would drop or another war would break out. But if I survived, then the world must have a good side.
I am Sakhi. The famous refugee. I'm a world renowned dancer, known for my grace and flexibility. My past as a refugee has inspired me. My flexibility to cope with my situation.
Some people say that refugees leave their home and never return. Some people think that people who are refugees are sad their whole life and never have a chance to feel happy. Some people believe that refugees can never have a future like normal people. But we can. I did. We can do anything.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!