Partner

“Now Sally, you have to be very quiet for now, understand?”

The female Border collie understood Tom quite clearly and nodded her shaggy head in comprehension. Sally noticed that this was a severe situation, and it was not to be dealt lightly.

From through and through, war is a matter of cruelty, disgust and depression. Fields of war was a bloody red canvas, the many soldiers lifeless, while somewhere in the world their family would be wishing for their homecoming. But for the 18 year old Soldier Tom and Sally had gone through the traumatic journey together and has escaped many dangers. But they knew that it was a matter of time before they were found and slaughtered, like the others who had a tremendous war before surrendering. Surely troops will search for any survivors of the ambush that they have caused.

Tom was the first to hear the armed soldiers marching their way through the canopy rainforest. The brave solider showed no sign of hesitation, yet he was panicking inside. Tom whistled a low tune, too low for the distant soldiers to pick up, which was a sign for Sally to patrol the zone. The collie obeyed, and without a sound she disappeared into the green bushes. After a few minutes, she came back the same way she did before-silent and careful-and ran in a circular motion and faced in the direction the soldiers were at.

Tom nodded once at the patrol dog, so that she led the way. Sally padded forward, cautious and aware of her surroundings. Tom had his gun ready in position, in case of a sudden attack. The two walked quietly and alert, when suddenly Tom tripped on a tree trunk that stuck out of the dirt, in result finding himself crashing to the ground. Sally barked in surprise and worry for her master which attracted attention to them.

“Did you hear that? March onwards!”

A distant voice belonging to the unwanted guest was clear in the dead silent forest, and Tom hobbled up, but crumpled back down again-he had twisted an ankle. “Sally, run. Go to a safer place.” Tom whispered softly but groaned in pain, knowing that he would hold his partner behind if she stayed. Sally whined, and whimpered at her injured master,not wanting to leave his side. Suddenly as if she made her final decision, she instantaneously bolted off into the direction of the soldiers barking madly. Immediately, Tom knew what she was doing.

She was luring the enemy troops away.

Her barking was almost faint after a few minutes of the continuous chase between the enemy troops and Sally, but the gunfire aimed towards her was. The piercing howl before her downfall echoed through the woods and through Tom. Thanks to his dog that was devoted to him, he was saved. But it did not help is heavy heart of losing his friend who was always by his side.

After all she was his partner, and not a pet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!