Virtual Nature

I screamed in frustration, blood pumping through my veins. I looked around in the blur of weary soldiers. Before I could blink, a sword, stained with blood, ran though my abdomen. This was the end. “Argh!” I yelled, “My avatar died! This game is stupid.”
“Mum! I need some money to buy a new game!” I shouted down stairs.
“Ok,” she replied, “but be quiet, your sister is sleeping.”
I slumped onto my bed. I browsed the games but none of them appealed to me. I ran down stairs and said, “Let’s go, I need to buy a new laptop, my old one doesn’t have enough games.”
“That’s it!” Mum screamed, “I’m not buying anything technology-related anymore. We’re going camping to fix up your attitude.”
My sister, Tilly, waddled down the stairs and said, “Mummy’s too loud. She woke up Frank.”
Frank is her rabbit, she got it when she was a baby and it has never left her side since, even though she is already 5. “But mum-,” I started, but mum interrupted and said, “That’s enough; pack your bags for a week. Get ready for an adventure.”

I dragged my backpack along the gravel path and hauled it into the car. “Don’t drag your bag, it will make a hole,” Mum growled.
I didn’t want to do this. I locked myself in my room until my Mum lured me out with her famous caramel slice. When we got there I planned on running to the car when they were sleeping and finding a mobile signal and calling the police about this insanity. I jumped into the car and got comfy. This was going to be a long trip.

I opened the car door and stared in horror at the greenery. I flung my bag onto my back and pretended to smile at the mosquitoes gnawing on my legs. I ran to our campground, hoping to outrun the bugs. I pulled out my phone and found no signal. I pumped up the air mattress and lay down. “I thought we could have some veggie stew for dinner,” Mum said.
“What?” I retorted, “I can’t eat that! I need some chicken.”
“If you want chicken you’ll have to go catch one” she said with a grin.
I mushed my face into the mattress. I wanted it to be over.

While mum was sleeping with Tilly, I crawled out of the tent and ran up the hill to the car. I pulled out my phone and stopped in my tracks. I gazed around the beautiful mystery called the forest. I looked at a flower when a dew drop fell from its petal. I saw a deer drinking in the river. I watched in awe. I shuffled towards the innocent-looking creature and put my hand near. She tilted her head in alarm and calmed down when I touched her soft, delicate hide. I had found nature, or maybe, just maybe, nature had found me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!