Darkness

Marisol Grey pushed through crowd of people on Cardale Avenue, trying to see what all the fuss was about. It was a cordial autumn day and she only wanted to go get cinnamon buns from the bakery when she had seen the crowd. “Hey watch it!” She yelled to a boy her age as he pushed her over in his hurry to get out of the crowd. Suddenly everyone closer around whatever they were gathering around, stopping Marisol from getting up. “HELP!” she yelped as the crowd came further to squashing her like a herd of elephants. Just as it seemed she was done for, a strong hand yanked her up and out of harm’s way. It was the same boy as before. For a second she stood there and looked at the boy. He had messy brown hair and a terrified expression. Marisol was confused. As strange as it was, she could swear she had seen him before. Before she could thank him, he boy ran off screaming. Feeling shaky, Marisol once again begun her quest to get to the middle. That’s when they all started staring. Just like the boy, they looked terrified and ran off screaming. Marisol was terrified herself now. She walked slowly, looking at everyone’s horrific expressions. Soon the crowd was all gone and Marisol was standing alone staring at the coffin in the middle of the road as she walked towards it she suddenly felt a wave of cold come across her and the hairs on her neck stand up as though he had been plunged into icy water. Slowly, she walked toward the coffin, feeling as terrified as ever. Then she saw it. In the coffin, lying on a bed of red velvet was her. Pale as snow, clutching an autumn leaf. Frozen stiff, terrified Marisol couldn’t speak. She shut her eyes, then opened them again. No, it couldn’t be true; she wasn’t dead. Something tickled her neck. A leaf, she realised. As she held it, she realised that it was the same one as the one dead Marisol was holding. “No”, she wanted to scream, but it came out as a whisper. Then it happened. A speeding Porsche plummeted toward Marisol, but she couldn’t move. As the car came in contact with her, she looked toward dead Marisol. As Marisol shut her eyes she saw dead Marisol open her eyes and scream.

Suddenly, Marisol felt…awake. She heard people shuffling around her. And then…Screaming? Running, yelling, then silence. Wait no, there was still somebody there. Why couldn’t she open her eyes? “No…” She heard someone whisper. It sounded like her, only she couldn’t move her lips. Then she heard a car screeching. What was happening!?! With all the power she could muster, she opened her eyes. It was her! Other Marisol stared at her, then closed her eyes and got bashed by a car. Marisol Screamed and sat up in her bed. No, coffin. With a craving for cinnamon buns, darkness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!