I Should Have Helped!

Anger, jealousy and confusion writhed up inside of Hon Lu’s chest as he watched another boy come aboard the dark ship. This trip from China to America was meant to be for himself and himself alone, and it was he who was going to live with Aunt Xing Yang, not this intruder. Hon Lu felt a tap on his shoulder and he whizzed around. There stood the captain with the new boy at his side. “This is Kenta.” He announced, “He will be your companion on the journey.” Kenta smiled kindly. This ticked Hon Lu off. He grunted. He could tell by the look on the captain’s face that Kenta had won him over. Hon Lu stormed off, red in the face with jealousy.
The irate Chinese boy sat on his bed, and although he could hear the cabin crew’s frustrated voices calling him for dinner, he blocked it out. How could they? This was his trip, not to be ruined by a favoured boy that is four years older than him. No. He couldn’t let that happen. He just had to find a way to change things. He set to work to plot to change this outrageous situation. Tonight was the night.
As Hon Lu made his way up the staircase to the deck, the ship began to rock madly. He couldn’t stand upright without holding the railing. It was as if a giant had plucked up the boat and was shaking it around like a toy. Finally, he made it to the top of the winding stairs and was startled by the world around him. The wind was raging and Hon Lu’s eyes stung like lemon juice as the salty water flew into them. He was afraid that he would be deafened by the sound of waves crashing down on each other and the deep rumbles of thunder.
He forced his refusing legs to move into the driver’s cabin. Then, shivering uncontrollably, he collapsed into the driver’s seat, exhausted. Although Hon Lu was numb with cold and seemed half-blinded, he saw and heard something unmistakeable. The fragile body of Kenta. Being swept across the deck.
It was as if it was in slow motion. The deadly bolt of lightning made its way zig-zagging through the black clumps of cloud, further and further down until it reached a body. A young body. The body of Kenta. It shook and crackled like bacon on a frying pan until it stopped and hit the deck. Hon Lu ran out to the side of the ship as he watched Kenta’s limp body slide off the edge. His lifeless body sank into the black depths of the ocean, never to be seen again.
The ship eventually made it to America, but with one less passenger. Hon Lu did live with the luxury of the new country, but could only process one thought: “I shall pay for my selfishness by living with this lifelong guilt. I should have helped.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!