I Should Have Helped!

“Oh, our English assignment is so hard,” I complained.
“I know, I’ve got absolutely no ideas,” Holly moaned.
Holly and I were walking home after a difficult day at school. We’re best friends and neighbours. Holly came over to my house, her mum was already there. We tell her about the frustrating homework that’s been annoying us all day.
“Why don’t you go for a peaceful walk in the forest? The birds twittering, trees whispering, it’ll do you good,” my mum’s best friend suggested. Holly and I adored the idea. But when we got there it was the complete opposite…
As we arrived things felt a little off. We saw an old, rotting wooden fence, bits of it were coming apart. It was as if it were supposed to be blocking off the path, but I knew that wasn’t the case, this was just a relaxing forest. Or so I thought. An eerie groan occurred. I ignored it and forced myself in. We began our walk and started chatting. I’d completely forgotten about the assignment. I noticed some strange twigs on the pathway. We tuned into the wind whistling, weaving through the trees. The mud squelched beneath my feet, step by step, I could feel it oozing into my sneakers. The leaves crunched with every movement. Not quite how I’d expected this stroll to be. But I knew the least of it.
Holly and I were now starting to enjoy our walk, we were beginning to convince ourselves that the creepy sounds were just the wind howling.
“What was that?” I nervously questioned Holly.
“What was what?” she replied.
“That rustle in the trees.” Suddenly we didn’t feel so calm anymore. We clung to each other and cautiously stared into the black hole all around us. A huge gust of wind whizzed past us, nearly shoving us to the floor. We were petrified. Who was there? What was there? How could we escape? Just as these queries entered and left my mind I spotted a shadow looming in the bushes. The second I caught a glimpse of it, the figure shot past me, leaving me no chance to see what it was. A twig snapped behind me. I spun around. Nothing was there. I turned back to Holly. She was gone… I couldn’t think straight, my mind was foggy. I sprinted home in panic. What had just happened?!
As quick as a flash, I sat up in shock.
“I should have helped!” I shrieked in terror. The guilt was eating me alive! I looked around as my eyes adjusted to my surroundings. I was tucked up in bed.
“Are you alright?” an anxious voice came from the door. I curiously twisted myself around to see where it came from. A massive sense of relief rushed into my body. “HOLLY!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. She received the biggest hug anyone has ever given.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!