Viking Medicine

Vikki was strolling the shores of west Ireland. He was thinking about the raids he had made the day before. As he walked, he heard the waves crashing on the shore and the wind blowing in his ear.
"Vikki," his sister, Loui, called to him, "Vikki, father is extremely ill."
"Where is he?" Vikki asked.
"At the house,"Loui replied as they both started running.
Vikki opened the door with a bang to see his father lying in bed, red faced and sweaty. He looked like he was going to die. Vikki’s mother was sitting next to him and said, "I have tried everything but it hasn't worked. I don't know what else to do."
Vikki was scared because his father didn't get sick very often. He knew he had to get help. "I am going to the witch because I have seen her heal people before," he said.
When Vikki and Loui arrived, they knocked on a small wooden door. The witch opened it. "Arr! I saw you coming," proclaimed the witch, "your father is ill but I can help." Vikki and Loui let out a sigh of relief with the news she could help them. "How can you help us?" asked Loui.
The witch told them about a plant that was deep in the forest where there were dangerous creatures. Vikki had a look of readiness. He would do anything to save his father.
Vikki and Loui left the hut and saddled their horses. They rode to the forest at top speed. They needed to get the plant to their father as quickly as possible. When they reached the edge of the forest, it looked bigger and scarier than they had imagined, but that didn't stop them from their task.
"Follow me, I will clear a path," said Vikki as he raised his torch and carefully led Loui into the forest, trying not to get hit by branches. Having trekked for two days they felt tired and were losing hope. Then they caught sight of a glowing light,
"Is that what we are looking for?" asked Loui.
"Yes I think so," responded Vikki sounding sure.
As they approached the light, they saw a plant with a lonely flower reaching out of it. Vikki was now certain. As Vikki went to pick the flower, they heard a growl behind them. They turned to see a grey angry wolf ready to attack.
The wolf leapt at Vikki just as he pulled out his sword to block him. The wolf attacked again but was pushed back to the ground. It attacked once more, this time knocking Vikki over. The wolf stood just in front of Vikki. He realised the wolf was standing on the flower, which was being flattened by its weight. Vikki had lost sight of Loui but then he heard someone rushing from behind.
It was Loui. She came with a stick and whacked the wolf, knocking it off the flower. Loui helped Vikki up. "Quick, before the wolf gets up," Loui said as she picked the flower from the plant.
They ran out of the forest to see their horses waiting and rode quickly back home.?
Loui opened the door so Vikki could make a tea from the plant to give to their father. Their mother gave the tea to him and he drank it. He suddenly felt better.
Their life was back to normal doing Viking things.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!