The 26th Of August.

Some things have to happen, no matter how you try to stop it. No matter what you do, when you go, some things are set in stone. Like the 26th of August, in the year 2017.

The most regretted day of my life.

The morning began like any other; snoozing on the alarm clock and being late for work. I truly wondered why my boss hadn't fired me yet. Probably because I had a pretty face, and always found ways to get what I wanted. Manipulation was what they called it. I preferred convincing.

People said I was spoiled rotten; said I always got what I wanted. And I agreed with them. I was a horrible person, and didn't want to change a thing. What was the point of caring for others if they only got in the way?

During work, I completely ignored the long line of customers in front of me. Elaine would take care of them. I didn't care if it was my job; Elaine handled it and I got paid.

On most days, I didn't even look up from my magazines. And that day was all the same.

If only I'd looked up. Then, maybe...

Once work ended, I met up with Elaine to go out shopping. I hated her with a burning passion. I had a cynical belief that she was only trying undermine me in every way she could. I believed that everything revolved around me; that she only wanted to hurt me. That everyone only wanted to hurt me.

If only I'd realised she was trying to help. Then, maybe...

Elaine and I went to find a dress for an upcoming school dance. She'd forced me to go dress shopping with her, despite the fact that I was not going to go. She had me try on outfits that I certainly could not afford, and I looked terrible in every single one.

That day, the only thought running through my mind was that she was trying to make me look bad. Today, I look back on that event. The dress I bought was actually quite nice.

But I didn't go to the dance. If only I'd gone. Then, maybe...

That evening, when the dance came around, something terrible happened.

On August 26th, in the year of 2017, Elaine Hunter was murdered.

I always thought of her as a brat. A nuisance. An annoyance.

But today, looking back, she was the only person who truly cared about me.

But today, on August 26th, in the year of 2037, I cannot find it in me to visit anywhere else but her grave.

But today, on August 26th, in the year of 2037, I still have not found her killer, or a way to reverse time and stop the murder.

Some things have to happen, no matter how you try to stop it. No matter what you do, when you go, some things are set in stone. Like the 26th of August, in the year 2017.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!