Zombie Outbreak

Prologue

Last Halloween, came the virus. It spread like wildfire. People died. But…then, they came back. Scientists couldn’t explain it. How could they? Biologically it’s impossible. That’s why I set out to where it all began, to find the answers. It’s nearly Halloween. I can feel it close…


The only sound I can hear is my shoes scraping against the floor as I walk. I haven’t seen any zombies for a while. That’s a bad sign. I heft up my AK-47 and peek to see what’s behind the wall. I find two zombies devouring the flesh of a man in the parking lot of a local Cheap Mart store. I hide back round the wall and check my ammo. I have enough for now. When the dead aren’t looking I sprint from behind the wall and crouch next to the bonnet of an old blue Mitsubishi. I hear the sound of the two zombies coming. They can smell me. I get up from behind the car just as one of the zombies emerges from the front. I raise my gun and fire, killing it instantly. I run to the other and hit it with the butt of my weapon. It falls to the floor, a big hole in its face. I dive over a shopping cart and peek through a window of the store. Dozens of zombies are walking around, either making a mess or eating the arms off of another fallen victim.
‘Yep, looks like the normal Cheap Mart crowd.’ I think to myself.
Then I see the lights. All switched off, not broken. There’s probably be a generator round here somewhere. I have to turn It on. I move away from the window and walk towards a door which inside probably has the source of turning on the lights in the mart. I jump and roll over a car, which although looked cool, was a huge mistake. The siren starts wailing.
“Ohhhhh, son of a mother!” I shout, as the noise gets louder. I look at the number plate and see it says-Jeremy-01.
“No one likes your crappy car man!” I yell.
Then I hear moaning. I turn to confront four zombies, they come from behind a bus and start walking towards me. I shoot the one in the police outfit with my gun, and turn to fire at the one behind it. As I pull the trigger, I get a horrible ‘click’ ‘click’ sound. Dammit! Out of ammo! I run past the girl-looking zombie and drop my gun and quickly climb the fence. Once I’m over I see a door. I try to open it but it’s jammed. Luckily, lying next to me is a black wrench. I use it to prize the door open.
“Ugh! It smell like rotten eyeballs!” I say in disgust.
I take a flashlight from my pocket and turn it on. I examine the room. Suddenly there’s a crunching noise in front of me. A zombie is walking on a pile of old letters. I kill it with my wrench. But more growling comes from behind me. I turn and see that the room is swarmed with zombies, and even worse, there’s no way out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!