Bailey

“We are never going to get a dog!” said my Dad, one morning. I said, “Come on. That is so unfair”. So my quest for a dog began.

To give you some idea, my Dad never had pets growing up. Well, he had a turtle but it didn’t move very much. He didn’t have cool pets like dogs or cats so he became a bit scared of them. My good friends, Andy and Dan, both had dogs. Andy had a dog the size of a horse and my Dad was always very scared of Elvis, the dog.

Me wanting to have a dog started with us, as a family, watching ‘A Dog’s Purpose’ at the cinema. The film was about a 10 year old boy (my age) who had a dog called Bailey. They got up to lots of adventures together and were very close.

The first thing I did was write down a list of advantages of having a dog and there were many! I couldn’t think of any disadvantages to write down, apart from my Dad saying no.

Then my Mum and I started researching the breed of dog that would suit our family. I didn’t think a Rottweiler or a Doberman would be a good idea! We eventually found a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My Mum then started to look for good breeders. Finally my Mum found a breeder called Mel who lived on a farm and her dog had just had nine puppies. We knew we wanted a boy so we could call him Bailey.

My Dad still kept saying no to a dog but we never gave up. Soon it was Father’s Day and my teacher said “You need to write something nice about your Dad. I will select the top five best people.” So I got home from school and wrote why I loved my Dad. My main reason was because he gave me a cat called Pebbles and a dog called Bailey. My teacher selected me to read out in front of the whole school and all the Dads.

A week later it was Father’s Day and we gave my Dad a book called ‘Dogs in Sydney’. My Dad loves to walk so I thought if he could see there are lots of places to walk in Sydney with dogs, he might want one.

Three days later, I walked back from school. I unpacked my bag as usual. Then my Dad said to my brother and I, “Boys, come and sit down at the table. I have something to tell you. You and your brother are going to be the owners of a dog called Bailey and we will get him on the 13th of October.” I jumped in the air with happiness. “Thank you so much, Dad.”

So if you are out there trying to get a dog, the lesson I have learned in life is never give up!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!