Under The Bridge

The cold damp street left Dylan and Rubi Lange shaking.“Come on Dylan,” Rubi whined, tugging at the tattered cloth that Dylan wore.
“What?” he asked with a knowing smirk, which turned more into a scowl as the air picked up in temperature?
“Did you get any food” she whispered making sure no one from the farmers’ market was watching.
“Don’t have any money Rub and stealing’s bad.” He produced a single apple from his left pocket then he reached for another in his other pocket. Handing the apple to Rubi he ate his, enjoying the crunch that comes with the bight.
“Come on we better get under cover.” They reached the bridge where underneath the cardboard boxes lay. Slumping down on his box, he watched as Rubi sat down on hers, marvelling at the lack of weight that followed her sitting.
“You need to eat more, you barely leave a dent in that box of yours.”
“You need to steal more,” she advised taking another bite of her apple. “Whatever, get some rest.” The sun was going down and the moon was rising and Rubi fell asleep. Dylan watched her, he would do anything for her, his little sister, his responsibility. She shuddered and Dylan flinched. She was having a nightmare. Dylan slumped back, he needed to relax, to calm down. He breathed in through his mouth and out through his nose but when he opened his eyes he was holding a small needle of heroin. He didn’t like taking it in front of Rubi but urge was as plain as his left foot. He grabbed a bit of fabric and tightened it around his arm, injected the needle and leaned back relaxing the world around him melted away and he was at home with his parents. He felt closest to them here. He felt free.
“You ok son?” his dad said, his voice echoing around in Dylan’s head.
“Yeah dad I’m fine.”
“You don’t look it.” his mum advised looking at him more carefully. Rubi entered the room, the smell of bacon came from the kitchen. The sun shone brightly through the window. A man twisted the knob and entered, his face covered in shadow. He pulled out a gun, pointed it at his dad and fired! With a cry he fell to the ground! Mum fell next! Dylan was powerless as the man from his memory slaughtered his parents. He backed up to the kitchen, he needed to protect Rubi. The gun fired going through his left arm and hitting Rubi square between the eyes! She fell dead! The drug induced flashback ended and Dylan woke again under the bridge.
He looked over at Rubi, her cardboard box empty except for an uneaten apple. The next morning with an empty heart Dylan walked to his sister’s grave ignoring his parents. He looked at Rubi’s. His responsibility. He placed down the cardboard box and the apple.
The box read “Eat up Rub get some meat on those bones.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!