Fear

I sat in my room alone. Isolated from the world. Fear clouded my mind. That's all I thought about. Fear. Fear of life, fear of death. Fear of crowds, fear of being alone. Fear of fear.

That's all I thought about. It distracted me from all my worries. But it also created new ones. But as you could guess, I was too scared to do anything else.

I can't remember what day it is. I can't remember the last time I ate anything, or even drank something. I can't remember anything but my fear. I don't even remember my name and age. I don't even know my family. Everything about me is gone. I no longer have a life. I am merely fear. Nothing more and nothing less.

My stomach suddenly gave a low growl. It wasn't the first time. It’s happened a lot. But I ignore it, Like I have every other time. I may be hungry, but I don't want to die. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here. I would have been found by now otherwise. And if I choke, and no one else is here, that means I'll die alone. I’ll be forgotten. Nothing but a forgotten memory. A blur in the past.

Something wet rolled down my face, over my cheek and fell into my lap. A tear. One followed by a thousand others. I forgot I could cry. I forgot I could do lots of things. Walk, talk. Even move my hand.

A thought suddenly came to mind. It can't hurt that much to die. I know there are 4 ways to die. Quick and painless, slow and painful, quick and painful and slow and painless. I would personally like the quick and painless. But I know better than that. You don't get to choose. It's all up to fate.

I looked around for the door. It was to my right in this small white room. I thought about trying to get up, but before I could even consider it, the door knob started turning.

I hid my face as best as I could as I heard the door slowly creaked open. A sharp gasp was audible in the silence. I hardly took a breath.

“Hello? Is there anyone in here?” So they hadn't seen me yet. Good. Maybe they'll get bored and leave. But nothing ever goes my way. They saw me. I could feel their eyes burning into my back. They were staring at me. Watching me.

“Hello there. My name's Rose. What's yours? And what are you doing in here all by yourself?” They asked.

“I don't know my name. I don't know anything about me. I don't even think that I'm human. I'm simply fear.” I replied cautiously, my voice hoarse and cracky from not being used.

“Everyone has fear. But they have courage as well.”

“No! You can't have both.”

“Yes you can. Courage isn't having no fear. It's being able to stand up to it.” Said Rose.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!