Saving A Life

Saving a life

The silhouette of his thin outline was all that could be seen through the dense smoke. A cough erupted from deep in his throat. Through every breath Rowan inhaled, a thick cloud of smoke followed into his lungs. Although, he knew his skinny physique would give way and be swallowed into the fire, he was too determined. A crackling noise startled him, interrupting his thoughts. Flames towered over the boy, crawling up both sides of the wall. Staggering, Rowan dodged a flame and crawled out of the kitchen. A thick layer of soot covered his body and blurred his vision. Using what little strength he had left, he continued crawling along the scorching floorboards.
The living room was left in remains; the bright floral wallpaper was nothing more than ashes, the lounge had only the red hot, metal frame left. Still weak and on his knees, he refused to turn around, he would never forgive himself. The boy pushed himself to stand up, clasping his chest with one arm, trying to ignore the heavy discomfort and stinging. Rowan’s eyes scanned the room, looking for a way out of the living room but each doorway was blocked with the intimidating inferno.
Feeling claustrophobic, the blaze started to enclose him. In a flustered state, he made a desperate attempt of dashing as fast as his leg would allow, to the window. Lifting his small fragile fist, he hesitantly raised it and smashed it into the glass, wincing at the sharp pain that accompanied it. A large chunk of glass rested in the groove of his knuckle, but in the flight of the moment, he didn’t notice. A cool breeze entered and he eagerly inhaled the fresh air. Using his final burst of energy, Rowan dived through the window landing with an “Oomph.”
A grin slowly stamped itself on his face. A sense of achievement had overcome him, proud that he made it out of the burning house. He scrambled across his backyard still coughing, as he eye-balled his surroundings. Knowing his time was limited, he let out a loud whistle trying to gain attention. It worked to Rowan’s luck, emerging from the shadows was a small puppy, it’s golden coat tainted by grime. Hiding behind a gardening shed, it peered out, slowly taking a step forward on its petite, shaky legs. Rowan released an immense sigh of relief, and reached down to cradle the diminutive pup in his arms.
The only home that Rowan had known collapsed before his eyes. The house supports gave in to the treacherous fire, followed closely by the roof surrendering. Engulfed by the furnace, many of his childhood reminiscences and memories were stolen.
His escape route was now buried beneath the remnants of his home. The fire still roared and hissed. He stood ready to accept his death, his fear diminished and he stood ready for his demise.
The flames; lurid and deafening, yet in the distance Rowan caught a slight but distinct sound of a siren.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!