King Wingard

The year is 5350, I enter the tomb, which was filled with rubble before I, Michaela Tonellato, discovered it. Head torch on, I look around at the chipped, rough walls. Walking down the descending stairway, I rest my hand on the limestone wall to feel the rough, battered texture. Limestone, I think, good choice for ancient times. The wide staircase opens to a large room filled with dust.
I stop on the last step and throw a ball in to make sure it's not booby-trapped. Thud! The ball lands loudly. Nothing happened. I step into the room and look around. What a plain room! I think. Though, I did find another descending passageway leading away from this room. I look around one more time, before rushing off into the dark, eerie passage.
The staircase opens up to a room filled with treasury! The glint of gold, everywhere. Mouth hanging wide open, I look around. Gilded animal heads, golden chariots, beautifully and precisely placed jewels on a one-seater, golden sashed, elegant couch. WOW, it's so beautiful! I turn my head seeing something shiny. In the corner of the room (antechamber) I see something that makes my heart leap. I feel like screaming out. Football, which was long ago banished because it tried to conquer the world, has come crashing back down to Earth. In the corner lies a golden football, with the Port Adelaide Power Logo on it, in a glass box. It's so beautiful, I have to shield my eyes. I turn away, seeing a little fenced off area with a golden sign, saying 'CHAD WINGARD', on it. I peer over the fence and see... King Wingard's sarcophagus! Without thinking, I jump the small, waist-high fence, guarded by two golden statues, both with a human male’s body and a cat’s head. I land light as a feather, but on a small button. I hear a soft, click, and dodge a sharp arrow, the size of my forearm. The arrow narrowly misses its target, the wind of the arrow on my cheek as it whizzes past. My heart hammering, rattling in my chest. In front of me lies a beautiful glass case with a golden rim, expertly sealed. In that glass case lies the footy legend, number 20, KING CHAD WINGARD OF PORT ADELAIDE POWER!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!