King Of Diamonds

We’ve got a little secret, he and I. He’s told me not to tell no one, so I don’t.

Gus shuffles the deck. Hearts and diamonds and clubs and spades flash past in a whir. I look over and see a big red bus cruise down the black asphalt road. I can feel the fresh paintwork, as smooth as diamonds, slip past. It flies around the corner. I scream for it to stop.

But it’s too late.

I take a gulp of fresh air. The cards are dealt and I cover my mouth to hide my giggle. It’s a three of a kind – King of spades, hearts and clubs… just the king of diamonds to pick up.

I flip the top card – 8 of clubs – pass.
Seven of spades.
King of diamonds. Bingo!
I snatch up the spoon.

I make myself light as a baby dove and soar high on rippling waves of adrenaline. I flap my wings freely. The breeze is a pleasant tune.

As I near home, I look down and see the bus. It’s different. Motionless, buried to the axles. A shell of stained metal and dull steel. Smoke stings my nose.

I am drawn to it.

I bound inside my nest. Dark light casts empty shadows on the dust encrusted kitchen table. “I’ve got another one!” I exclaim. “A shiny one!”

“Who is it?” a static voice cracks through the drowsy murmur.

And then I see him. His eyes are like frosted windows and his face, wrinkled like rusted steel.

“Me. Liam,” I reply.

“Oh son, ‘bout time I see you.”

Thud. I trip over a stack of empty bottles and rusted spoons and burnt foil.

“I won it with the king of diamonds Dad!” I gleefully I present the spoon. “Can I help you melt the diamonds now?”

I search deep into the crumbling wreck that had once always been there to ferry me around.

“You wouldn’t want to melt diamonds.” he slurs and picks at his crusty bloodstained shirt. “Far too young.”

All at once I feel my body get hot and confused. “No! Why?”

“Now, go back to Gus’ for a few days. I’ll be busy with the diamonds.”

His words sting more than shards of glass whilst a tear, like quicksilver, rolls down my cheek. “Dad! It doesn’t have to be our secret anymore. We can work together.” I shout.

The silence deafens me.

“I just want to spend time with you,” I whisper.

Dad grabs his lighter and my spoon and stumbles into the bathroom.

I retrace my steps outside and slam the door. The sun shines bright. The breeze starts its tune. The world lies out before me like a shimmering mirage.

The tears flow freely now.

I know he’ll hate me, but I’ve got to tell the secret. Maybe someone can help to get him back on the road.

As I shuffle to Gus’ place I see some blokes hitching the big red bus onto a tow truck.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!