The First Fleet - A Short Story

Hi, my name is Lilla Sharas, I am 11 years old. I live in England and I am an orphan. My life is hard. I am a maid and as I said, I’m an orphan, but at least my parents are in prison and not dead. My dad killed someone for no reason. I don’t know for sure, but I think he was drunk. My mum stole a piece of bread! But back to me, this is the story of me and the First Fleet to Australia.
I stole a potato from my boss, Lillian Grayham, and get this, she called the Police on me! They chased me for a week. Eventually they caught me and of course I got in trouble, but not too much. I was so hungry still, but at least I didn’t work for Lillian anymore. I was now homeless. Even though Lillian hated me, she had always treated me like her very own child. So basically what I’m saying is she loved me like her own. I was so hurt when she turned me into the Police.
I got sent to court, ‘Dumfries Court, what a funny name,' I thought to myself.
I was in a heap of trouble, I knew it! Then it started… “Name?” the Judge asked.
“Lilla Sharas,” I responded.
“Education?” he asked.
“None,” I replied.
“Parents?” he continued.
“Orphan,” I said.
“Job?” he asked.
“Maid,” I said.
“14 year transportation sentence,” said the Judge.
The soldiers grabbed me and took me to the hulks.
After one year, the boats finally set off. It was very scary, but I saw a familiar face on the boat named, Zora.
I arrived in Port Jackson and started building. When I turned around, I saw a girl named Lilly Martin. She was trying to steal my stuff. We got into a fight. The soldiers broke it up and I was sent to Cockatoo Island.
Cockatoo Island was the worst because we had to survive ourselves. I almost died. I behaved myself on Cockatoo Island, but one time when I tried to run away, I got my sentence increased by one year.
Eventually, I got set free. I was very happy. I even got to meet my mum and dad as they were sentenced to transportation for their crimes too. They were the best. Oh and you know that familiar face I saw? Turns out it was mum! I guess the world is a small place after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!