I Remember

“I can’t remember what my breakfast was, besides what class I’ve got next.” Steph my only friend states half answering my question of what class she has next.
If only she knew that ever since the day I was born I’ve been able to remember exactly what has happened to me in my life, and as far as I know no one I’ve met can remember as much as me.
“Lexie, it’s not that bad. I remember we moved when you were 3 and you threw a tanty because you didn’t like moving. You wouldn’t remember though, please don’t do it again!” Mum pleads. Little does she know, I remember chucking a tantrum when I was 3 because I’ve remembered everything since the day I was born. Also I don’t know anyone at the age of 14 that remembers like me.
“So I’ve heard there’s going to be a new girl at school from the city.” Mum claims as I walk into our cosy lounge room with a PB&J sandwich for dinner. “Are you going to try and be friends with her?” Mum questions.
“I don’t know, all the girls that come from the city are so stuck up with themselves.” I say, adding “do you know her name?”
“Well I’m pretty sure that her name was Lexie Hart.”
The trip takes forever and because I’m an only child Mum got to choose the music which was terrible. Eventually we made it to boring Ohio where on go’s the GPS to navigate us to the house. “I’m so excited to get to the house and settle in.” Mum says enthusiastic.
“Yeah, exciting."
“Moving to a tiny town where we’ll live for the rest of eternity.” I reply sarcastic.
“It’s not that bad” Mum says as we drive into the driveway of our new two story house.
“I’ll be back in 2 hours cos I’ve got to do shopping.” Mum explains while shrugging on her coat, “And that new girl and her mum are moving into the house next door, so I decided to make meatloaf to welcome them.”
“Yep,” I say remembering the last time Mum made meatloaf for the owners of the house, it was about nine years ago.
“If they arrive while I’m gone take the meatloaf yourself,” Mum says.
“Won’t be long.” Says Mum walking out the door to buy essential items for the night.
I decide to explore the house a bit but instead the doorbell rings, assuming its Mum I answer the door but it’s a girl around my age holding meatloaf. Except I know this girl, she was at a fair and went on the same ride as me.
She looks taken aback but recovers herself saying “I remember you from the Charlottesville fair.”
It was surprising because I remember her from that fair too, cautiously I ask “Do you remember too?” I whisper.
“Yes” she says shyly.
“I know we’ll be great friends then.”
Finally someone who remembers too.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!