Danger

The eerie, greenish light flickered and buzzed throughout the corridor, as my every step echoed. I was on a mission. A great, deep, dark mission. I could feel the fragile cobwebs brush against my face, and the cold floor under my bare feet. With no source of heat, I became an ice block, frozen in temperature and time.
I turned around a dull corner, and stopped abruptly, for I had come to a door. I fished around in my pocket until I found it. My long-lost great-aunt's pearl necklace. 'It will bring you good luck,' she had said, before I set off, before I left her forever. But that was yesterday. It was time to think present.
I wrapped the necklace tightly around the lock; it was the key. I gripped it. I was in agony. But I loved it. Click! The door was unlocked. I cautiously unravelled the beads, slipped them back into my pocket and stepped inside the room. The step that would change my life forever.
I took my first look around the empty space, not noticing the following figure or shadow. I felt a rush of exhilaration flow through my body. It was a new experience. But I knew that I would have to get used to it, since I had escaped from my home town.
The path twisted and turned underground, was narrow and wide, it travelled upwards, and downwards. I thought that it would go on forever, until I saw hope: light.
I started to sprint towards the heavenly glow, but I didn’t get further than a few steps, for I stumbled upon a muscly leg. Had I seen it, and my quest would have been a whole lot easier. “Who-who are you?” I stuttered, struggling to get my own words out of my mouth. “Never you worry about that,” a harsh voice scowled. ‘You’re coming with me.’ ‘But…’, but I never finished my sentence, for a cloth was wrapped around my face, as I was dragged into a foul-smelling, bare room.
As I scrambled around, trying to find a door or window, I saw a light flickering, turning off, and turning back on again. I knew I recognized it, I knew I had seen it before… And then I realized! It was a lantern, which meant other people were around! I crawled towards the glow, and bumped my head on something hard. Round. Cold. They felt like bars. And suddenly, I realised where I was.
“Help!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “You’re staying here, missy,” a rather chubby-looking policeman said. “What have I done?” “You and I know the answer to that quite well.” A transceiver in his pocket started to buzz. “What is it?” I heard stifled mumbling, and then silence. “Missy,” he said to me, “it looks like we’ve caught the wrong person.” With a grin on my face, I sprinted out for the city, for I had a chance to find what I wanted most. A family.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!