Hope In The Dark

Finalist in the 'Write Here Write Now 2017' competition

"Can you hear my heartbeat? Just focus on that."
The shivering of my younger sister, Sun, is making me shake as well. We are huddled together in the corner of our makeshift mud house, the only place we can call home.
***
"When are we going to see MeMe again, Yen? I miss her too much."
I dread to tell her the news of our mother's death. Our beloved mother passed away while giving birth to our youngest sibling, Gunyan. It was so sudden; I have never felt the feeling of not having a mother and frankly, I never thought I would.
***
I find the courage inside of me to reveal to Sun what has happened. "Sun, I have something to tell you. Something important but very tragic, so you need to listen carefully."
I can tell that Sun has realised I am serious; she is smart like that. "MeMe has gone to live with God up in heaven. She wasn't well when she was giving birth to Gunyan. She has gone up to heaven so God can fix her," I say, my body too shaken up to rock her from side to side anymore. I realise that Lee, Sun's twin brother, has come to listen to the news.
"MeMe's died? Yen, did MeMe die?" Sun asks, her voice quivering by what I have just told her.
"Yes, she has." I knew that, however I put it, she was always going to see the more realistic side of it. She is eight years old, who am I kidding?
***
Lee is frozen to the spot and has not moved a muscle since he has come here to listen. Over in the corner, baby Gunyan has started to cry. His little face squelches up as if he has heard the news as well. I go to pick him up as I realise what is happening. The ground under our feet is becoming more violent by the minute. It is a bomb.
***
I grab Gunyan and yell, "We need to escape now!" Lee takes hold of Sun as we flee our shack which has brought us safety and protection for all these years. The busy street suddenly floods with families who are doing the same thing as us: fleeing Vietnam.
***
We finally make our way to the wharf and collapse into the small, tin boat. I quickly take the money out of my pocket that I have saved for this very occasion; I knew it was coming. The feeling I have left Dad behind haunts me. He is still fighting in the Vietnam War. I pay the captain and shove life vests onto the others. This is the end of our life in Vietnam and the beginning of our life as refugees.
***
"Come on, Gunyan.” I pick him up and swing him around, my summery dress flowing behind me. Lee and Sun are following, talking about their adventures they had had at school today. I follow the path up to our suburban home and there, waiting on the doorstep in familiar clothes... is our dad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!