The Music Box

Excellence Award in the 'Write Here Write Now 2017' competition

I couldn’t see a thing, although I could still hear the mystical music ringing in my ears, time was running out. The fog was clouding up my mind. The sun, or whatever was left of it had a slight twinkle against the glass, I was almost there. Cautiously, I shifted my feet one after the other, as close as I could get to the glitter of light reflecting on the mirror. Without warning I felt the cold touch of the glass, I was safe.
I should've followed the rules. Eagerly, I recited the boxes rules quietly in my head.
Never touch the glass,
Never play the music till the end,
Never stare at the centre of the glass
A shiver ran down my spine at the thought. What if I would be the first one in 100 years to get stuck in the threatening world of the music box. Abruptly, without warning whatsoever, my little brother dashed into my room. He grasped the music box and darted towards the door. Then a thought hit me immediately, what if he’s the first one in 100 years to get stuck.
The music box has been handed down my family for generations on end, no one has ever been stuck forever and I will absolutely not be the first. If you get dragged into the inscrutable world of the music box and don’t touch the glass before the music stops, then you’re wrecked. I tore down the hallway towards my brother’s room, he was so unaware of its enchanted powers and wicked dangers. I charged against his bedroom door, locked! The mystical music was playing; it was ringing in my ears just as it had done before. Ben. I charged against the door once more it splintered all over the floor, but I had more important worries. The room was bare. No Ben. I stared intently at the music boxes beautiful illustrations. Gingerly I touched the glass, my hand melted into it. Do it for Ben. I appeared in a world that was growing dark, there were hills surrounding me and Ben was on the hill opposite, I called his name over the howl of the music boxes melody. He rushed towards me. He would have to sprint if we would make it out of this ghastly place.
Ben raced to me like a bullet. I scooped him up as he sobbed in confusion. “Where are we” he questioned “No time to explain” I responded earnestly. The music slowed “RUN!” I yelled. The anxiety was killing me. I couldn’t have guilt dragging me down for demolishing my brother’s life. He touched the glass just as the music stopped. I did it. His hand slowly vanished into the glass. He made it. I was gone. I felt like someone had torn me right down the middle. “Goodbye” I exclaimed tremblingly. “Please don’t go” he wailed with tears in his eyes. I felt like I could’ve done the same. He disappeared into thin air. “Ben” I stared into the horizon this was my life… Forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!