Starting Something Better

I stared at the screen in shock. I could feel my head hot, my body boiling with anger. I regretfully read the message one last time.
“Mr and Mrs Bell. We must inform you that Madison's application for the State Finals tomorrow is declined. This purely is a male event and we cannot accep-”
That's it! I threw my phone over my bed, landing in a sea of clothes on my floor. Why was life so unfair? No one cares for us girls!
"Maddy! Maddy!" a familiar voice echoed through my head. A large, soft hand placed on my spine. I rolled over from my pillow, eyes puffy and my face looking just like Red Skull from Captain America. Unusually, my sister's smile didn't comfort me. She stared at me confused. Her gaze turned around my room. She picked up my phone and read the message.
"No!" she yelled, "No, No, No! They can't do that."
It was rare my sister was angry, she always stayed controlled, not tonight.
As I woke up a tear rolled down my cheek. It was the day my oppositions were going to compete for the Australian Under 16 Motor Bike Relay Team.
My Grandmother Rose has flown down from England to watch me race- not anymore. We gathered our belongings and headed off for an expected miserable day.
Granny strolled over and sat next to me on the garden bench not far away from the starting line, “Dear Madison,” she began stroking my braided red hair. “Are you really not going to compete when this has been your dream? I am not going to let you just throw all your work down the drain.”
What was she thinking? I couldn't compete!
“Granny, you don't understand,” I exclaimed standing up to look her in the eye. “It is only for boys, no one ever stops to think about us girls!”
The 80 old stood up to level me. “That is about to change.”
Granny rushed over to my sister and my mum chatting away as always with parents of contestants. She grabbed both of their arms and mouthed a quick, 'Sorry' to the parents and the three of them scurried away. What was Granny up to now? I didn't have to ponder too long as the piercing sound of the unsuccessful microphone connection blared.
“Everyone here to today!” Wait was that Granny?
“My grand-daughter needs to compete, but is not being allowed! You know what that calls for!” Granny ran over again grabbing my hand. My family, followed by many others, before I knew it hundreds of people stood in front of the motorbikers, whilst I fastened my helmet.
I stared in awe. After I crossed the finish line, driving with all my might, I had just won gold.
My pen hovers over the clipboard. My eyes fixed on the Accept box, my parents stood behind me, supporting as always. At the last second, I ticked Decline.
I was starting my own girl’s team.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!