Vision Of Hope

As I open my eyes for the first time, many thoughts instantly hit me.
Rainbow.Luminous colours?
As I look up, I read a blurred name tag: Dr Fiona.
The saviour who has played a vital role in my life.
The pair of healing hands that regain my vision.
There, stood my now aged parents brimming with tears.

I am Amelia,18 years old.
I have been officially blind for 10 years until this very moment.

For the past decade, I have been living in shadows, in darkness and I never saw a ray of hope.

Visually nor mentally.

I was wretched the day I lost my vision…..I was 8 years old and was cooking on a kitchen play set when I needed a tomato. I searched high and low for it in the nursery.
“There you are!”
It sat there, looking ripe red on the top shelf with the books.
I remember chanting: “ You can’t have a salad without a tomato.”
I climbed up the shelves.
As I reached for the red, juicy tomato, I slipped and books came tumbling down.

I have no idea what happened next.
The next thing I knew I was confined to a hospital bed with tight bandages on my head, uncomfortable tubes coming out of my nostrils…. I had lost my sight.

“She’s awake!” my mum’s voice quivered.

I felt a gentle touch on my forehead: “Hello Amelia. How are you feeling?” an unfamiliar voice asked.

“I am Dr Fiona, your surgeon and you had an accident. You slipped from a bookcase and suffered a head injury, you had been in a coma for days and unfortunately, you are now blind.

“Blind?”
My heart instantly sank.

“This is a rare outcome.You have been put on the priority waitlist for an eye transplant.” Dr Fiona reassured.

As I was ushered out of the hospital in a wheelchair, I asked my parents, “will I stay blind forever?” and “will someone donate their eyes to me?” I continued to ask the same question over the years.
“It is as hard as finding a needle in a haystack.” I began to lose hope.

10 years later, after my braille tutoring session, my parents received a phone call. “Someone was able to donate her eyes to you!”
I couldn't believe my ears.
It had been ages since I was last able to see, I had forgotten how radiant colours were.

My eye transplant was a success.

I can’t express my gratitude to the deceased and her family:

“Dedicated to the beautiful soul who is looking down on me from heaven:
I never knew angels existed on earth and in heaven,
I never thought anyone would give when they lost someone so dear to them.
I never knew such grief and agony can turn into love and compassion.
For someone unknown,
For someone unrelated, 
I treasure the thought of her life and your ultimate gift for me to see again.”

(493 words)

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!