Feverish Loss

The night was shining a sapphire blue, it might have seemed beautiful to some but I was too worried to care about the shining surroundings. It was the second night they had been missing, my little sister, my mum and my dad. They weren`t meant to be gone this long. They went to pick up my sister from boarding school for the holidays, it`s only a six hour trip.
They have been gone for thirty six hours now, I couldn`t stay in the house much longer, even though my grandma had come to look after me until they came back I felt like I was trapped by the possibilities of what happened to them and the dizziness that had blurred my vision so I went outside so I could clear my head. I closed my eyes and stopped walking taking in deep breaths, leaning on a tree for support and trying to reassure myself that they were safe and they were just… I didn`t know what they were doing. An unwelcome image flashed into my head, three bodies lying motionless somewhere.
I shook my head as I opened my eyes trying to get the image out of my head. The dry Autumn leaves crunched under my feet as I half stumbled along the road out of town, I don`t know why I was walking that way but I couldn`t help it. I thought of turning around and going home but I couldn`t face the thoughts that awaited my return so I kept walking, the full moon illuminating my path.
I saw a glint in the distance a sense of dread filled me and my legs started moving me towards it, I was internally screaming at myself to turn away but I knew I could never live with the guilt. As I got close I saw the number plate, it was our car no doubt about it. I stumbled as tears ran down my cheek as the bodies of my family became ever clearer through the tinted glass of our car, a startled cry escaped my throat as I ran up to the car pounding my fists against the glass in disbelief and pointlessly hoping that they would still be breathing.
I wished that it wasn’t true, that they were still breathing but they weren`t and I was so angry at the universe for taking them away from me. The glass in the driver’s side window smashed as my fists hit it, I sank to my knees and cried cradling my bleeding hand against my jumper which was soaked with a mixture of blood and tears. It felt like I was crying for hours and hours but somehow I was able to pull out my phone with a shaking hand and dial triple zero and to tell them all the essential information before I blacked out. In a way I was reunited with my family and in another way I was taken from them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!