The Swansong

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The lake slowly rippled as a creature of pure white kindness landed on its surface. She dipped her head down sorrowfully, looking at her disorientated reflection. Her small black eyes shone with tears. The yellow of her beak was starting to fade. Her wings, made of white, fluffy feathers, were turning grey and useless. She let of a long, sad breath as she stared at the old, dying swan beneath her on the settling water.
The swan gently moved her feet under the surface, keeping her above water. She raised her head and looked up at the fading yellow and orange sunset. The clouds lit up pink and red, making her feel sadder. Once the sun dropped below the horizon, she knew her time was up.
Curses are fickle things. They were always difficult to discover the meaning of. She never understood them, at least until she was cursed herself. She had been cursed to the form of a swan. After the sunset that night, she would perish. She knew it was a cliche, but there was nothing she could do. She had been happy for most of her life, but then her father died and a lot of responsibility fell onto her shoulders. She was still grieving when that witch came up to her, looking for food. But she was too distraught to be kind, and scolded the witch, banishing her from the city. The witch wanted revenge for the girl's terrible actions, and cursed her to live the rest of her life as a silent swan.
Now the swan sat on the lake, staring up at the dropping sun. It wouldn't be long now. Only a couple minutes, an hour at the least. She closed her small, delicate eyes.
Why had she been so stupid?! Everyone knew you should never cross a witch. They are cruel and dangerous. But most of all vengeful. Witches send curses left right and center to whoever they liked, for the smallest of reasons. But she had sent her into the woods just for asking for help. Of course the witch would curse her.
The sun was now a slither on the horizon. It was over. It was obvious.Then, it disappeared.
The swan's wings started to turn from grey to black, small sparks appearing at the tips. Her eyes started to change white and murky, her vision fading quickly. The air in her lungs felt like fire and her energy seemed to diminish terribly quickly. She let out a loud, sad cry, before falling lifelessly down beneath the calm water.
The lake fell silent as the last traces of the princess sunk below the surface and beyond the universes touch.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!