A Crimson Downpour Of Witty Valor

“Oh… look who came crawling back like the disgusting roach he is." She cackled as she twirled auburn curls with pale fingers. “As I predicted of course…” a scowl distorted her face, “You do know you’ve become way too predictable Perseus. How… boring”.
“Elizabeth, this isn’t the time to be funny-”
“Is that so Perseus? Because you thought it was hilarious when I confronted you about that wretch”
“That was 12 years ago! Do you hold grudges that long?” He was shivering, his dark cloak heavy from the rain.
“I'll hold that grudge until you apologise…”, her watery-grey eyes glimmered. She leaned against the oaken door-frame, the entrance to this masterpiece of a mansion.

“May I please come inside? The storm is getting worse and I’m feeling colder than your pitiless heart.”. An insect-grin crawled onto her lips. “Very well” She chuckled, gesturing him in with hands bejewelled in sapphire and gold.

Brass sconces and expensive portraits adorned the well-lit foyer. They strolled through in silence to the main living area. Which was somehow more elegant and impressive.
“I’ll fetch you a towel…” She offered crudely.

The living room was enormous, with floral-print couches, crystal candelabras, and hand-sewn rugs. A large mural of her deceased husband hung over a mahogany fireplace, he’d died decades back. An unsolved murder.

“So what’s made you come back after all these years? To apologise?” her voice echoed in the cavernous space “Never!” Perseus exclaimed, “You cheated on me back in 1645 as well!” He was dripping wet, white tunic soaked through. “My memory is a little foggy…" She drawled, "Though I guess an elephant like you never forgets…”. She wrapped a towel around his shivering shoulders. “At least this elephant has common decency” He snapped back. Wringing his caramel hair into the towel, he inched closer to the blazing fire. He ought to have caught the flu. “Well you see Perseus dear, my therapy is isolation nowadays” she sighed.
“So you have this entire mansion to yourself?” He stared into the fire, ‘unbelievable’.
“Well, since you left I… sacked all the staff” It was like she was confessing a secret. She shuffled next to Perseus, placing another towel on the wooden coffee table.
“Liz… Can I stay here for a while?”
“Why of course!…” A moment of disbelief, “If you apologise for your infidelity”. A venomous smile, more-so, baring teeth. “You are a vile creature Elizabeth…” The floor had become quite fascinating. “You call yourself a victim when in reality… You are the villain.”

“Oh, Perseus…” the room became dim as the fire suffocated and sputtered. She leaned forward, plucking a sharp, glimmering object from underneath the sofa. “You’re such a child,” steel sent light bounding across the room… “Elizabeth please-”

Crimson liquid spilt from the knife now protruding from his back. Elizabeth embraced him with a lovers gentleness as he fell limp, wheezing. “Oh dear, Perseus, how long I've waited for this,” her lips grazed his ear, “I had hoped you had changed”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!