New Beginning

What Matters
Waking up. Breathing in the warm morning air, inhale … exhale. Inspecting the rays of the new day’s sun consume my pale skin that shines through on my soft pillow. Growing curious of my day ahead; noticing the sounds of serenity and calmness that surround me. Kicking the sheets off my body, embracing a new temperature when leaving the cocoon I made in my sleep. Spinning my legs around the side of my messy bed. Correcting my twisted pyjama shorts to cover my scars I’m trying to embrace, rather than forget. Pushing my body off my bed, adjusting my feet to the feeling of the soft carpet, I gain the balance I need to walk forward.
Pulling my weight forward, my feet carry me to the kitchen; flicking the switch of the kettle, listening to the water bubble and steam to give me the satisfaction of boiled water. Hearing the clunk of the mug press to the marble bench, watching the brown tea-bag fall to the bottom of the mug. Pouring a teaspoon of sugar into the mug. Following the stream of water from the kettle to the mug. Gazing out to the huge green hill outside the house that patiently waits for the next person to walk across it. Breathing in the warm air.
Inhale …
Exhale.
Growing aware of the tiny particles of dust that float around me, exposed with the reflection of the sun, somehow searching for a place to reside.
Feeling each of the hundreds of droplets of steam of the leafy water hit me as the mug gets closer to my face. Realising that if things went differently last week, I couldn’t be mindful of these things right now. Attracted to the view outside; I walk swiftly to the edge of the balcony. Closing my eyes, I retire my body’s weight to the glass railing as a breeze of that warm air pushes my soft brown hair over my eyes and rosy pink cheeks. Releasing one of my hands from the tepid mug, I tuck my hair back behind my ear. Noticing the changing white clouds surround the blue sky, realising someone is watching their dog chase the wild rabbits scurrying on the hill. Hearing the fresh swash of the water crashing against the heavy rocks at the bottom of the hill and the loud rustling of the vivid green leaves on every tree encompassing my view. Inspecting the radiant purple flowers blooming along the garden bed of the lower neighbour’s immaculate house. Smiling when a beaming red ladybug makes its way across the railing I am resting on.
Existing in this moment, feeling more alive than I have for months.
Leaving the darkness I have been consumed by. Emerging from the chrysalis I was in. Breathing in the warm air. Knowing then, this is what matters to me.
Inhale.
Exhale.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!