Variables

“You know what?” my seven-year-old sister exclaimed in excitement, “Since Ray is going to be my big brother, I think I should hug him more.” With a smile on her face she skipped along, “There he is!” and there he was, Ray himself. My sister had been too shy to interact with him much the entire year we’d been together so this was a good sign. In his rush to see me, he somewhat rejected my little sister’s hug. It was sweet to hear that she had finally accepted my partner, I just wished her timing was better. There was almost silence as we potted along the windy roads that lead to my home. Within fifteen long minutes, we had arrived. We had tea with my family and he shared stories of the trip he’d just returned from. We weren’t quite long distance because he travelled home once a week to see me but with him being so far away every day but one, it felt like we actually were. Mutual laughs created a calming aura of pleasant feelings and smiles. We left the table as a pair knowing we needed to have a conversation we were both dreading. Instead of talking, we distracted ourselves with music and games that were inevitably short lived. I knew if it had to be done, it would be best to just get it over with, Ray didn’t agree. He continued to do anything in his power to avoid talking but none the less I sat him down and we began to talk. Things were left on an emotional note the last time we spoke so we were both quite nervous. I don’t think either of us had cried so much in the last decade. Things had been hinting toward this for a few months now, though I was too shocked to accept it. Ray cautiously gathered his thoughts together to make words so filled with emotion, I could respond in no other way but to cry. I could not believe what I had heard. My hands flung toward my face to cover my tears, I never thought this day would come.
“Jenny. . . Will you marry me?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!