A Chance

I never liked my older brother.
He was different; he was born into a world where he couldn’t walk.
I was embarrassed by him – I hated the fact that I needed to push him around in his wheelchair, and that I needed to do everything for him.
Flynn always came into my room and asked if he could play video games with me – I would always say no. I didn’t want to be near him.
Every time he came to talk to me, he would leave with a hurt look on his face.
I was so embarrassed by him, I forced my parents to attend me to a different school.
I loathed him.
One day at school, I forgot my homework at home. So I called my mum to get it for me.
What I didn’t know, was that Flynn was sick that day, and Mum drove Flynn to my school to bring it in for me.
“Excuse me,” Flynn says, “my brother forgot his homework.”
I look away from him, wishing he would leave.
Getting detention was better than this.
“Matt,” Flynn comes up to me, with a huge grin on his face. “I got your homework.”
Without looking at him, I snatch it from his hands and mutter a thanks.
I could already tell what his face looked like. It was a combination of this; hurt, disappointment, sorrow.
I wait until he leaves the room, then pick up my pencil and continue to work.
“Dude, was that your brother?” My friend, Fred, says smugly. “He can’t even walk!”
I was so humiliated – the whole class was staring at me.
After school, when Mum came to pick me up, I was in a bad mood.
Flynn was already in the car.
“Hey,” he says when he sees me. “How was school?”
“Ruined,” I say hotly. I couldn’t help myself. “Because of you!”
Flynn’s smile turned into a frown. “Why is it my fault?”
Didn’t he get it?
“You humiliated me!” I shout.
Flynn’s eyes well up, and his voice shakes. “It’s not my fault – ”
“I DON’T CARE! YOU HUMLIATE ME AND I HATE YOU!”
“Matt!” My mum says. “How could you?”
I jump out of the car and run onto the road. They would never understand.
“MATT!” Flynn screams.
I ignore him. I keep on running – until I hear the sound of a car beeping.
Someone pushes me forward, and I turn just in time to see the front of the car colliding with Flynn’s body.

“NO!” I scream.
He lied there, lifeless. Tears came to my eyes.
This can’t be happening.
I broke down – completely. All those times when he wanted to play games with me – I should’ve said yes.
He saved me. He saved my life.
It was a debt that I was never able to repay.
Flynn just wanted to spend time with me – as a younger brother, I needed that brother bond with him.
All I had to do was give him a chance.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!