Feathers

Tears rolled out of Felicity’s eyes as she watched her Mother read words about her Grandmother. She looked down at the booklet she was given and saw her smiling Grandmother. “I know what she’d say right now,” Felicity heaved between tiny sobs. As they left saying goodbye for the last time, Felicity heard her Grandmothers voice, “Felicity remember your duty, I trust you.” Felicity felt a small tingle on her neck, her Grandmother’s feather necklace was resting on it like it had been there her whole life.
That night Felicity took her Grandmother’s necklace off and hid it in her special lockbox. She knew that her Grandmother’s necklace had the power to destroy the world if placed in the wrong hands. She fell asleep that night tossing and turning. She was feeling the pressure of the huge responsibility that had been placed in her hands.
Loud snoring travelled through the house slowly. The front door flew open showing a tall slim figure. She hovered into the hallway and swiftly made it through the maze-like house to Felicity’s room. The mysterious figure lowered her petite feet to the dark wooden floor and started to search high and low. She found Felicity’s lockbox and picked the lock open then speedily scurried outside holding the feather necklace. She walked away from the meadow rubbing her hands together sneakily. “Bwahahaha,” chuckled the thief.
Felicity was knocking things over left, right and centre. Her feather necklace was gone. She raced into the lounge and saw a note on the table. “Gone to see your Grandfather, love Mum.” Felicity stared at the note until she heard a squeaky voice, “Save me. Feel my power. Follow the power.” After listening to the voice, Felicity felt a powerful force, it was pushing her out the door. Was this what the voice meant? She followed the power and a journey began.
Felicity was still wearing her purple pyjamas which stuck to her uncomfortably. Power surged through her body each hour. She went through flaming deserts to freezing alpines. She felt the power getting stronger when she met the bottom of the mountain. It was dark and silent. A shadow of a feather appeared. Felicity walked over to the cave where she saw the shadow and dived behind a rock.
There she saw Norelle, a villain who tries to steal world-destroying items like her Grandmother’s feather necklace. Norelle was walking around a black steel cauldron looking at a book. “That’s what I forgot,” Norelle laughed leaving the feather necklace on a dilapidated table. Felicity knew this was her chance. She sprinted towards the necklace and grabbed it firmly.
Leaving the cave, Felicity looked at the necklace. Tears fogged her eyes as a memory of her grandmother ran into her head. She wiped her eyes and when her view was clear she almost fainted, she was standing in front of her house.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!