Wanna Play?

I heard the footsteps, I saw the flash of the machete in her hand, I felt the tension thicken in the air. I was meeting my end. I pushed further into the wall until I was a shadow, holding my breath so I felt no pulse, the girl walked around the room eyes darting everywhere until she looked my way. I felt her stare, but she quickly ran out of the room, then I heard a scream. Why did I get put in this tournament?
I knew it was coming, when the people dressed in black came to the door and asked for me. I had the chance to run and not participate but my family thought it was a blessing not a burden and worse, my friend Dawn was entering too.
I heard the faint bell, the end of the game, thank goodness. I slide out of my hiding spot, grabbed my bracelet and pressed the button to teleport back to the podium. I arrived with the rest of the ‘group’, three kids fighting each other for survival.
“Congratulations players, you have survived the 10th round,” a voice came over the loud speakers.
“Good job Dawn, didn’t think you had it in you.”
“Ha-ha very funny Christy.”
“Can all the players head to their bunks and get ready for the next round.”
“Well I better be off, gotta train.”
“Bye Dawn.”
I should meet Dawn at the ‘gym’ I thought. I hurried to get ready and jogged to the ‘gym’ or should I say, a place with bars and twisted metal hanging out of the ground. When I was at the ‘gym’ I thought Dawn was near the wall, so I went over to say hi, but she had disappeared. I looked past the wall and saw her silhouette and followed. I arrived at a cottage.
I saw the flash again and followed, when the flashes stopped, I was in front of a cottage. I walked in side and saw cups of tea and a chair facing a fire. The chair swivelled around, and I saw Dawn.
“What are you doing here Dawn?”
“I was luring you here.”
“Why?”
“So, I could kill you, I realised only one of us would win and when I got told to participate I was going to, but you got chosen too.”
Dawn walked out of the cottage, I tried to follow but I couldn’t move. I looked down and I saw my feet sinking in the ground. I struggled but I sunk deeper, Dawn walked away further until I couldn’t see her, but I heard her say,
“You never had the smarts to beat me.”
“HELP!” was all I could say as I was consumed by darkness, like a blanket getting pulled over me.
I don’t know what happen after I died, Dawn could have won or been beaten, no matter what karma always bites back.
Karma’s a … ‘beep beep’ oops, that’s my burrito.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!