Mercy

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Zalia was sitting on my bed in the corner of her family’s small house, while her mum was sitting on the old arm chair with her sister, Ella.

Suddenly the door burst open and two policemen in black uniforms walked in, they grabbed me by the arms and dragged me screaming out onto the dirty street. They dragged me about 5 metres before I saw the sleek, black van parked next to the sidewalk.” “I now knew why these two men had grabbed me; they were taking me to the trials for Triff, a circus association that steals poor children from their homes and forces them to perform dangerous stunts, but if they don’t have talent they put them into labour putting up tents and painting banners”.

Some of my friends were taken in the raids, and I don’t think they are coming back. Whereas some children escape and tell the tales of what they describe as torture, starvation and death in a world like prison… I was far less than thrilled to be taken in this raid but I guess I’m not getting out of it.

As they dropped me on the ground I tried not to scream, but when I landed hard on the concrete pavement of the side walk, it was unbearably painful, then they tied my hands and taped my mouth. They then opened the giant black door looming peerlessly in front of me, as the door opened a crack I could now see the terrified faces of dozens of other children, who were taken in the same raid as me.”

The two police officers threw me in back with the rest of the children then went round the front and started the engine which roared into life. The van lurched forward as one of the two police officers stepped on the accelerator, then I saw an air vent at the top of the van it had four clips on the sides keeping it in place.

I looked around and found a tall boy looking up at the air vent as well. I walked over to him, he gave me a warm smile, then I ripped off the tape covering my mouth and told him my idea of standing on his shoulders to undo the clips, open the air vent and let everyone out.

I think he approved of it because he nodded the called to everyone to listen up. I stood up on a wooden bench and told everyone my plan. When I had finished everyone chattered, and nodded their approval of the plan.

The boy told me his name was Harry then undid my ropes lifted me up onto his shoulders and walked under the air vent. I released the clips and pushed it off the roof so that it clattered onto the ground I reached above the vent and pulled myself onto the roof. I breathed out feeling relieved then a stream of children came out of the vent. We were free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!