Making Friends

“In a few weeks, you’ll be bringing friend’s home, don’t worry, it’s only the start of school,” Mum would say at the start of every school year. When I was younger, I believed her, but now I’m not so sure. Each year, I would have a new chance to try and make friends, and I tried as hard as I could, but I was the only one trying to make friends. No one else wanted to know me.
Except this year is different, I’m going into high school, and I am one out of three people going to the local high school from my primary school. After all, my primary school was small in the first place and most of my fellow pupils were sent to private schools. So at least I could start over and try to make new friends that won’t judge me straight away.
The high school buildings loomed over me as I walked through the gates. I walked to the area that we had been told to go to, so we could get the information we needed to start the year. I felt Mum squeeze my hand gently, the signal that everything would be fine. As we waited, I looked at all the unfamiliar faces around me and tried to work out who would be my friends and who I probably wanted to steer clear of.
“I have to go now, but I am sure everything will be alright,” Mum whispered into my ear, and then she was gone. I gazed around, and spotted a girl that looked like she would be able to share something in common with me. So, after a few minutes, I gathered up the courage to go and speak to her.
“Hi, I’m Emma. What’s your name?” I asked, I tried to sound friendly and polite at the same time, but she ignored me. Another girl came up to her and whispered something in her ear, the girl I had thought of being friends with stood up and left with the other girl, not me. Obviously, she already had friends and wasn’t interested in making more.
“I think that girl was very rude,” a voice said from behind me. I turned around and saw a girl who looked like she would be a perfect friend. She smiled at me and introduced herself as Anna. So, of course we started talking about what we liked, disliked, and all the things friends discuss.
“I’ve never had a real friend before,” Anna said shyly, “if you want to be my friend that is.” I grinned, how could I refuse such an offer?
Over the course of the next few weeks, Anna and I grew close, and soon I had a small bunch of friends. This time Mum was right. I did start bringing friends home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!