Madeline, My Love

Dear Madeline,

As you read this, I shall already be dead... My life is almost at its end here in Gallipoli. This is my second letter but me trench is being obliterated for this side of the beach is very small and everything is packed together tightly. When a grenade full of death comes our way, we pray for dear life we survive. Most of the time we do but early in the morning, 20 days ago, Max, Gerald, Sebastian and a 15 year old boy, who lied about his age to be in the war, died.

It saddens me everyday that the poor young boy had to die. He didn't know what he was signing up for. As I told you in my first letter when we arrived we thought we could catch the Germans by surprise, but we didn't; over 10 000 of us died that day. Almost all of my friends have passed and with rage I killed even more innocent men, and with deaths upon my shoulders, I am weighed down with guilt. It's so heavy, I feel as though I can't move and the burden of my conscience is so great. When the general orders us to fire I try to persist, but when he leaves the trench the weight comes back to haunt me again.I can't believe he, the general, can deal with all of this death and violence.When I can hardly bear it.

Oh Madeline. I miss you. Your sweet smile, and your beautiful voice, I've almost forgotten it. Please do tell my sister, mother and father that I miss them and love them. But almost all of my love has been sent to yo in my letters and here is a bit more but I wish to keep only some for before I die her on Gallipoli. I love you Madeline. With all of my heart.

Forever yours,
Jacob.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!