The 6K

I find myself at the foot of a large hill; powering up it and feeling my quads burn, I reach the crest. A magnificent of Sydney greets me, tarnished by the burning in my lungs. My pace speeds up as I surge down the hill, overtaking runners and finding out that another ascent ahead is part of the cross country course.
Quickly, I scale up the next hill, feeling a burn in every muscle in my legs, but at least re-gaining my starting position. I find myself in the group of the top seven athletes. Knowing that top 6 go to nationals, I feel a bit safer now. A flat turfed section that seems to stretch into the horizon is ahead and I know I have to overtake now to get into a medalling position. How can I do this if there are people right behind me breathing on my neck and about to overtake? Huffing and puffing a lanky athlete begins to pass me, disrupting my plan. Now I’m 8th, but regaining my position now seems impossible with my legs screaming. I will beat him at the next hill, I resolve to myself.
Eventually, I reach the next hillock and glance up at the clump of runners ahead, and also spot the ant-sized distant frontrunner. I switch gears up the hill, knowing that I have nearly run 6km. Slipping and sweating up the pebbly hill, I find my way into the pack of runners with a pair of beat-up, burning legs. Scanning the course ahead, I spot the finish-line a soccer goal-post like structure with checked car racing flags on both top corners. I begin to sprint, making my way into 4th place and finding myself on the finishing straight. The roaring of the spectators is deafening. 3rd place is so close that I can touch him, but he is running strong and overtaking him will not be easy. “C’mon John, he’s catching up”
“Go, Ricky, you can beat him.” I hear my mum, and I know I’m not alone. Oh, what the hell, if I run so hard that I faint on the finish-line; it’ll be worth it if I medal. Calling on every ounce of strength, I pick up my pace. Finally I find myself neck and neck with 3rd place. My legs are numb, and I feel like throwing up. The athlete next to me is puffing hard. He is tired. I can beat him. Calling on the last gram of strength I lurch past him into the finish line knowing that I had him beaten. Shaking his hand, I feel like fainting and throwing up and my legs are not co-operating, but I know it was worth it because I can see my mum’s beaming, bronze face in the crowd.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!