The First Date

It was 5:28 pm, but Richard was supposed to meet his date at 5. Half an hour late, he dashed through the Starbucks doors. He scanned the room in search for his date, trying to recall her profile picture. His eye caught a glimpse of a gorgeous red head sitting alone in the corner. His stomach grew feeble with butterflies. His heart started beating triple time, then his knees weakened. Struggling to walk towards her, he gestured out his hand. She was the one.

“L-l-lela?” he questioned, “I’m Richard.” Lela’s face drowned in ambivalence as she took a swift glance at her phone.
“You look very different to your profile picture,” she stated.
He chuckled in embarrassment, “that’s the funny thing about the internet.” He fell into his seat as an awkward smirk spread across his face. Silence filled the atmosphere as the two glowered into each other’s eyes. He stared in a daze at her stunning floral dress, complimenting her ruby red hair that dangled over her sapphire eyes. Drool dripped down his mouth as he stared in amazement. He was in love…but she wasn’t.

They had made their way to the counter to order. “I’ll take 2 flat whites thanks,” she smiled at the cashier. An uprise in confidence filled his body. She was just about to pull out her card, when Richard’s hands brushed hers.

“My shout,” he smiled assertively. Her cheeks blushed bright red and she slipped her card back into her bag. He reached into his pockets only to find some old burger rings. His confident smile faded away as his cheeks turned rosy red with embarrassment.
“Sorry,” he whispered, “I forgot my wallet.” Her cheeks went pale, as she pulled her card out, death staring the embarrassed Richard. Her stare felt as though he had just punched him in the stomach. To distract her from his slip-up, he pulled out his next secret weapon.

“I got these for you,” he exclaimed. Flowers bounced from his hands onto her face…a mistake.
“Richard!” she screamed, “Hay fever!” Instantly, snot ran down her chin, while tears dripped down her face. Richard stood up in a flash, knocking over her drink. Coffee drenched her dress, then another scream came through her mouth.
“HOT!” she yelled. Hands shaking with nervousness, he sprinted to the counter without hesitation and grabbed a serviette. He threw it at Lela like a baseball pitcher, then slipped over the puddle of coffee, landing on his rear. Silence…

She stood up, ready to leave. Richard got off his wet bottom to gently stop her. “Lela,” he uttered, “I-I-I’m sorry. I just wanted to impress you. Trust me, I’m not always like this. When I’m around you, I start acting like a fool.” His stomach growled with a terrible feeling of shame. “Restart?” He gazed into her hateful eyes, his stomach ill with discomfort. She gazed back at him, his sad eyes brought a sweet feeling of comfort. “Sure,” she chuckled, “I’m Lela.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!