Rags Of Red

Bullets were flying, blood poured from lifeless bodies. Their vital-liquid soaked the fields as gunshots soared above. Men screamed with agony in the distance. Annalisa scouted the fields in search of a wounded soldier with a chance of survival. Then it hit her. A bullet. Forcing its way through her flesh, it tore away at the target. She fell, amongst the lifeless bodies, she too would become.
Louise was running for those she loved, no longer just her father. Recently adopted by Annalisa, a war-nurse, she had longed for her father, dying amongst the poppies of World-War-Two. Louise refused to love Annalisa. Although what Louise had refused, was something more powerful than she realised.
Her legs scraped against the machinery of soldiers as she sprinted through the battlefield. Louise was risking her life, for the one she never truly loved. Realising the faith of Annalisa, it was Louise's turn to pursue and heal the wounded. Annalisa healed Louise of loss, Louise will heal Annalisa of Love.
The rags of red on her arm identified Annalisa, her eyes slowly changed focus to Louise. Her legs weakened, as she collapsed to the gritty surface. Mourning over Annalisa’s state of near-leading death, Louise ripped the stained-clothing and scouted for the wound. Surveying the flesh, the damage was easily located. A well of deep red-liquid oozed over her clothing. Bullets flew above, whistling to the nearby-death of an enemy soldier.
Glaring at the killing-machines around her, she erupted with fury. Louise decided that there was always a chance, a spark of hope. If Annalisa were to die, she would know Louise cared. The sickening smell of the wound rose, as Annalisa lay forlorn and hopeless. Louise’s tears fell upon the damage, pleading for it to disinfect the sore. Nothing happened. Louise watched the poppies swaying in the wind amongst the browned grass. Picking a poppy, she laid it against Annalisa’s crippled chest. “I love you…Mother, you may not realise, but my love for you is endless.” She whispered, tears streaking down her pale cheeks. Louise transformed into a ghastly white, surrendering all her hope and family. Louise wailed, over Annalisa’s body, in pure defeat.
Louise's fate was unknown, a child of eight, no hope, no family. As continuous bullets pierced potential fathers, she had no further interest. Annalisa, her family and source of love was fading into one of the many bodies she saw twitching on the verge of death. Annalisa's skin grew cold as she muffled her final words - "I love you sweetheart, dear Louise, your life will change dramatically; but be the change you wish to see in society…" Her voice trailed on, but her face froze. Annalisa's skin grew cold and the world erupted into a place of worry, harm and sorrows. War is corrupt, but a girl like me, has the potential to stop it… she thought with determination. Almost all hope was lost, but one faithful source still remained to change society for the better, Louise.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!