That Disastrous Night

Bang! Crash! The lightning struck the ground directly in front of us. We were cold and wet with no blankets. Emma was trembling with fear, I just had to be strong for the both of us.
“It really is a beautiful house but I do miss her,” Alianna thought. Just a few weeks ago Emma's grandma passed away. It’s been hard for us to justify moving back to my childhood home. I didn't want to lose it. We recently moved from a small apartment in the city; I quit my job and I'm returning to the family business of making jams and juices. My daughter Emma and is only eight, I do wish that she would be more positive about moving to the farm.
“Honey.”
“Yes mum?”
“Grandma left a note for us before she passed.”
“What does it say?”
Dear Alianna and my beautiful Emma,
Just a warning, this area is prone to flooding when it rains. I chose you girls to look after the house and the property, the reason is I know that Alianna loved it as a child and I think Emma will too. Alianna, I left some strawberry seeds in the shed so that you can continue to grow the garden. Emma there is adventure to have on this farm, I remember when you were five, you used to love treasure hunts so I have left little hints everywhere for you.
Love Mum/Grandma.
“Aww it’s wonderful that grandma wrote us a letter.”
“Hey mum it’s starting to get really dark and stormy, maybe we should go and get the food and clothes from the car before it begins to rain.”
“That sounds good honey, let’s hope that it’s only light rainfall.”
Ok mum, let’s go.” Once unpacked, they settled for dinner.
“I think I’m going to go bed now mum, love you.”
“Alright honey, love you goodnight.”
“Auhh!” Alianna gasps as she awakes to lightening bright in the sky.
“EMMA GET UP!!!” she yells frightened while watching water rush into the house.
“Mum I was sleeping.”
“Just get up!”
“Ahhhh!!!” Emma screams and frantically begins to run upstairs.
“Quickly Emma!!!”
“Mum I'm stuck and the water is going to quick, I can’t move.”
“What are you stuck on?”
“I don't know, but it’s in the water and it’s taking me with it.”
“EMMA! EMMA ANSWER ME!”Alianna screams as she descends down the stairs and dives into the water and finds Emma gripping tightly to the stair railing. She pulls Emma up the stairs to her room.
“It'll be ok, Emma don't let go of my hand!” Alianna yells.
Upstairs Emma catches her breath.
“Mum, I'm scared, what's going to happen to the house?”
“I don't know honey, but as long as you are alright I don't care.” The storm passes after an hour.
“Mum what now…."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!